UGX-Mods

Call of Duty 5: World at War => Help Desk => Topic started by: MAK911 on November 05, 2014, 01:55:12 pm

Title: How to stay motivated
Post by: MAK911 on November 05, 2014, 01:55:12 pm
I've been having the most awful issue lately. I like what everyone does here and it's all great, but whenever I try myself, I just can't bring myself to finish. I know what I'm doing and don't have issues, but I just can't keep interested in whatever I'm working on. How do you stay on track and what keeps you going?
Title: Re: How to stay motivated
Post by: DeletedUser on November 05, 2014, 02:24:55 pm
I've been having the most awful issue lately. I like what everyone does here and it's all great, but whenever I try myself, I just can't bring myself to finish. I know what I'm doing and don't have issues, but I just can't keep interested in whatever I'm working on. How do you stay on track and what keeps you going?
That's the thing, it's all about interest in general. Think of it this way, im assuming you decided to start doing your project because you think it would be neat, interesting, or cool. You really need to push yourself to do it even if you don't want to. Kinda like me when I write. You could be sitting at your computer desk knowing you could easily do said thing, but that feeling of laziness or the feeling of doing something else really overcomes you. It's all about pushing yourself, you need to keep thinking how bad it would be if you did not finish... A way of pushing yourself could be to always think of how you could make it better, or more/better ideas. ;)
Post by: tomikaze on November 05, 2014, 02:26:33 pm
Are you trying to make a map and you are having trouble staying motivated to keep working on it?

1) Talk with people who are mapping and talk about what you each of you are doing with your maps. When they get excited about your project it can help reflect that excitement back to you. It's the idea behind hype, the more you talk about something the more excited you become and that may help fuel you through your project.

2) Bounce ideas off people. I love talking ideas with people and when you get ideas from others which can really make your map better it can keep you excited.

3) Don't be afraid to ask questions. Sometimes we get stuck and don't want to ask for help and then our list of questions gets so long that we feel like we'll never get through it. That's why places like UGX-Mods exists to help people out and provided support and constructive feedback (and also humor).
Post by: pcmodder on November 07, 2014, 03:39:48 pm
I think you would not need "Motivation" if you were really wanting to do a map. What kinda motivated me was the black ops and black ops 2 maps i wanted to try make a map myself , often playing the game and thinking of different room layouts and strategies availible in a map.  Also becoming a bit tired of regularly disconnecting from the steam / black ops servers when in a co op game also did not help as i play a lot local and i heard WAW had a local function.

In the beginning i wanted just a map with fast spawns and nonestop action, now i am deeper into the map i am concerned also with how it looks and feels to the player and what would make my map enjoyable . ( as well as gameplay ). I found that on many maps in black ops 2 mainly the game slowed down quite quickly ( Town) where you would either have to end your game or pump them with 100 000 MP5 bullets that takes a considerable amount of time to get the ammo. I decided to make a map where th ammo was not a problem, and difficulty could be achieved from other areas than running out of ammo.

Out of ammo = collect 24 go to box ..... I am still on my first map but already i can see that when i make my second i will have a lot ore experience in the layout and including extras , i am already motivated to make my second i have not finished my first . Feel free to add me on steam for discussion or advise ( both ways ) .

The desire to create should be your motivation.
Post by: haxman123 on November 07, 2014, 05:44:22 pm
Music Is great motivation and also play some really detailed custom maps and thrive your self to try and do better.

(Assuming you have done projects before) Look at your last projects and think what can i do thats better?

Speak to other modders on the forums

Go in chat and talk about mapping in general thats what gets me motivated :)
Post by: Dust on November 07, 2014, 05:48:51 pm
I always have something to listen to while mapping or working on guns or whatever. Whether it be, watching tv, listening to music, watching videos on youtube. It seems I can concentrate more and work harder if i'm listening to something.

Also if you have any friends on skype who are mappers, you can call them and talk to them while you both are mapping, and they can give you ideas and tips on what to do.
Post by: jei9363 on November 07, 2014, 06:17:20 pm
yeah I listen to music that kinda fits with the map. No Church In the Wild for my map. and I look up stuff on youtube that fits the theme, mines based on an uprising so Ive been watching mockingjay trailers
Post by: n122q45 on November 07, 2014, 08:12:54 pm
i know what you mean bro