UGX-Mods

Everything Else => Media => Topic started by: CyberMan1011 on September 14, 2014, 12:07:30 am

Title: USB Turntable recommendations?
Post by: CyberMan1011 on September 14, 2014, 12:07:30 am
I recently bought two vinyl records and I'm planning on buying a USB turntable so I could connect it to my computer, record the vinyl records, and save the recorded music as separate MP3 files.

I'm having trouble trying to find which one I should buy, though.

I'm kinda new to this turntable stuff, so I don't really know which turntable is suitable for me to purchase. I'm looking for one that isn't too expensive (below $500, but if you have a recommendation that's above $500 and you really want to recommend it to me, go ahead) and one that can record the music to my computer in 320kbps/FLAC without losing any quality in the transferred music at all.

Any recommendations?
Title: Re: USB Turntable recommendations?
Post by: treminaor on September 14, 2014, 01:02:48 am
Don't buy a USB turntable. They are not the best way to record audio from vinyl and they are also not the best quality turntables to begin with until you spend a lot of unnecessary extra money. Most USB turntables are bad enough that they'll end up ruing your vinyl over time because of the tracking force on the needle and the low quality of the needle itself.

Transferring the music to your computer will be pointless unless you do 16 or 24bit lossless FLAC audio - so unless you have a 16/24bit soundcard and software capable of this you'll be wasting your time anyway because a FLAC CD rip will sound better.

As far as a turntable, I recommend going on Craigslist and searching for a good one in the $150-$300 range. Good used brands to watch for are Yamaha, Denon, Bang & Olufsen, Technics, JVC, and in most cases Pioneer. Avoid anything else that is not in the brands I listed, and avoid anything under $150 because it's likely either broken or worn out. Getting something with a good needle on it is even more important than the turntable itself, so either plan on spending $150 for a new needle or buy a table that has a good needle on it. A table that's had the same needle since 1975 is going to sound like crap unless the needle was taken care of and rarely used.

If you want to talk more just add me on Skype (if you haven't already). I own a lot of vinyl and I can answer any other questions you have.
Post by: CyberMan1011 on September 14, 2014, 01:07:45 am
Don't buy a USB turntable. They are not the best way to record audio from vinyl and they are also not the best quality turntables to begin with until you spend a lot of unnecessary extra money. Most USB turntables are bad enough that they'll end up ruing your vinyl over time because of the tracking force on the needle and the low quality of the needle itself.

Transferring the music to your computer will be pointless unless you do 16 or 24bit lossless FLAC audio - so unless you have a 16/24bit soundcard and software capable of this you'll be wasting your time anyway because a FLAC CD rip will sound better.

As far as a turntable, I recommend going on Craigslist and searching for a good one in the $150-$300 range. Good used brands to watch for are Yamaha, Denon, Bang & Olufsen, Technics, JVC, and in most cases Pioneer. Avoid anything else that is not in the brands I listed, and avoid anything under $150 because it's likely either broken or worn out. Getting something with a good needle on it is even more important than the turntable itself, so either plan on spending $150 for a new needle or buy a table that has a good needle on it. A table that's had the same needle since 1975 is going to sound like crap unless the needle was taken care of and rarely used.

If you want to talk more just add me on Skype (if you haven't already). I own a lot of vinyl and I can answer any other questions you have.

If a USB turntable isn't the best way to record vinyl music to my computer, then what do you suggest that I can do instead?

I've also added you on Skype if you'd like to continue talking about this
Post by: treminaor on September 14, 2014, 01:11:55 am
If a USB turntable isn't the best way to record vinyl music to my computer, then what do you suggest that I can do instead?
Is there a specific reason why you want to record the music from the turntable to your PC?

Personally I bought a soundcard with left/right RCA input jacks on the back (Creative X-FI Titanium HD) and just plug my turntable straight into the card. Then I put the card in Listen mode when I want to listen to the music and I can record the input audio in 24bit FLAC if I so choose.

With most turntables you will also need a Pre-Amp, which boosts the audio to near 0db listening volume and corrects the RIAA offset. USB turntables have crappy built-in amplifier for recording which is another reason they are undesirable for professional recording.
Post by: jjbradman on September 14, 2014, 03:42:47 am
without losing any quality in the transferred music at all.
well i know that any compressed formar will have less quality.
but if you have a vinyl why record it? in my opinion thats stupid. just listen to it in a normal turntable.
Post by: treminaor on September 14, 2014, 04:03:41 am
well i know that any compressed formar will have less quality.
but if you have a vinyl why record it? in my opinion thats stupid. just listen to it in a normal turntable.
I talked to him more on Skype. His reason for wanting recording capabilities was to digitize some anime soundtracks from the 70's that aren't available digitally and haven't been ripped to game soundtrack sites yet.

In the case where the music isn't available digitally I can understand the desire to record it, but beyond that you need professional equipment to do any better than an average CD rip.