UGX-Mods

UGX-Mods => Announcements => Topic started by: Delta on August 23, 2014, 06:08:36 pm

Title: UGX Launcher
Post by: Delta on August 23, 2014, 06:08:36 pm

( this announcement was revealed to donators a week ago )

In the beginning of Custom Zombies there were only map downloads.
Soon EXE map installers were introduced to make it easier for novices to install and get maps running on their PC.
Then our UGX Map Manager offered a medium where high quality maps could all be found in one installer which had updating/patching features built into it.

Unfortunately it still wasn't perfect - still - people had issues, mostly because they couldn't read.  :troll:
BUT this shouldn't be the end of the map management revolution.

So today I would like to announce the official replacement for the UGX Map Manager:

The UGX Launcher patent pending^^

So what is exactly so new? - Everything!
Obviously the concept  of downloading, installing and launching maps has carried on into the UGX Launcher =D

So you may ask, why you should get excited as well? Let me introduce some major features.
But please note: The application is still in progress and in an early alpha version!
Not all features are implemented / polished yet!

UGX Mods Forum Account authentication (with offline mode)
We need to identify you! - No we don't work with the NSA - We need you to login in order for us to display information in the program related to who you are on the forum ( just keep reading )
Also it will prevent download spamming. - Only a registered user should have access to our free service!

[When there are too many downloads or failed login attempts, we will hook in a captcha code now as well!]

Settings
You can set max overall download speed, proxy settings and the download / server location (US/EU).
Participate in newer Beta builds of the manager, change your WaW install folder location and many more preferences TBA.

Multiple ( up to max three ) simultaneous map downloads (think like Steam).
Sortable download list.
Recover paused & cancelled downloads. - No need to begin at zero again ;)

New refreshed GUI with custom theme support.
Don't like the current theme? Just create a new one.
( I will provide wiki + default theme *.psd when it's in a stable version! )

Map list with customizable filters and sort options. Of course it has a search as well.
Find the map you would like to play!

Custom groups for maps (even for maps which aren't listed)
Manage the maps how you like it.

Map information!
Each map has it's own "page" in the Launcher, which is an evolved version of the information that the current UGX Map Manager provides for each map.
Give your personal rating about a map and see if other users think the same about the map.
Read the description or the changelog(s) from the mapper.
Not sure if it's a box map? Screenshots and YouTube videos are integrated and ready to be watched.
Still not sure? Read what the official UGX Custom Map Reviewers say about it and how well it scored.

Screenshots: ( As already mentioned, it's Work In Progress  )

Also, the map names used in screenshots are for debugging purpose ONLY! - they are samples.
Map list
(https://www.ugx-mods.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2Fl2TrUsw.png&hash=d8f626f7b78ae0ab102bf31c8d0745b7f78ae650)

Map single view #1
(https://www.ugx-mods.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FKxJ6RjZ.png&hash=eb1b3c681feb4ca17b7a06e33a134f92ac7dbb3c)

Map single view #2
(https://www.ugx-mods.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FpTGAwFU.png&hash=cc0572d7982cc585e25c3b43c19d96bb4e1a6486)

Map downloads & download manager
(https://www.ugx-mods.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FFyV3S2Y.png&hash=310cdae7321d4b7c25d1c7fec0bcc7b5163a5c7f)

Settings
(https://www.ugx-mods.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FEx2Yzlv.gif&hash=dff4c982d42b36cc5bea29aa749ce690a21f38b3)

Development plan

There is A LOT to do. - The project scope is really big and I focus currently on functionality rather on a good looking User Interface.

I'm not an 2D Artist, so all you see is the best I can do in the least time as possible.
But don't worry, it will look better <3

So, basic features first. As soon as they are all stable and it works, UI and other parts will
see frequent updates and improvements. ;)

I'll also support officially custom themes later^^

Advanced features:

Those features are combined with a a lot of work. They could work - but I can't promise anything.
They are planned but mentioned here extra because they are something special!

UGX Chat integration
The new chat will be ready to be used through the UGX Launcher as well!

UGX Play
Imagine it as an online lobby for zombies! Finding people to play with was never that easy before. Boot CoDWaW straight into your friends' custom zombies lobby!

UGX Stats
Stats tracking for maps, with leaderboards, online stats view and of course Achievements with rewards which will be viewable on your UGX Forum Profile <3

UGX In-Game
Experience all benefits while In-Game ;)

Excited? - Do you want to try it out?
I try to get a stable version done as fast as possible.
We hope we can deliver the first public alpha version of the UGX Launcher with the UGX Mod v1.1 donor beta
--> every donator gets access to the UGX Launcher beta as well! <3 <3

And of course, when there are bugs - both - the UGX Launcher and UGX Mod supports updating ;)

We hope - when the Launcher is stable - it will be easier for everyone to play and enjoy custom zombies.
To make this happen we need your help! Give feedback, report bugs, let us know what you like and don't like.

I try to make frequent updates and report back, hopefully every week about the progress and some screenshots where it makes sense. ( for donators only! )

FAQ:
Q: Will UGX Stats influence the UGX Mod Customization
A: Probably, if stats reading and writing will work

So that's about it, I hope you like it as much as I do and now ready - set - go and start typing on your keyboard ;)
Title: Re: UGX Launcher
Post by: HitmanVere on August 23, 2014, 06:17:11 pm
Can you see the profile of the map maker in UGX Launcher? :P
Post by: SoulTaker on August 23, 2014, 06:21:14 pm
This is beautiful.
 :)
Post by: Gunoftruth on August 23, 2014, 06:39:35 pm
Awesome! :D :o. Danke Delta für diese :) :D
Post by: Delta on August 23, 2014, 07:02:32 pm
Can you see the profile of the map maker in UGX Launcher? :P

Of course ( it's planned (, map creator(s) + credits list ;) All with profile link.
Post by: HitmanVere on August 23, 2014, 07:19:13 pm
Of course ( it's planned (, map creator(s) + credits list ;) All with profile link.

Nice, dude :D I might miss Manager, though :(
Post by: treminaor on August 23, 2014, 07:28:46 pm
Nice, dude :D I might miss Manager, though :(
It does much more than the Manager, so the name was no longer appropriate.
Post by: crixis48 on August 23, 2014, 07:32:02 pm
Can you add friends in the launcher? like in COD WAW or Steam :D should be great!!! Good Luke :nyan:
Post by: treminaor on August 23, 2014, 07:38:22 pm
Can you add friends in the launcher? like in COD WAW or Steam :D should be great!!! Good Luke :nyan:
Yes you can make a friends list and join their games.
Post by: HitmanVere on August 23, 2014, 07:40:44 pm
It does much more than the Manager, so the name was no longer appropriate.

Well, UGX is growing older, so things must change :/ I will miss saying: "Hopefully my map will be in Manager" :(
Post by: treminaor on August 23, 2014, 07:49:12 pm
Well, UGX is growing older, so things must change :/ I will miss saying: "Hopefully my map will be in Manager" :(
Yeah I'll have to make some changes to all the parts where we used the word "Manager" on the forum lol.
Post by: HitmanVere on August 23, 2014, 08:00:03 pm
Yeah I'll have to make some changes to all the parts where we used the word "Manager" on the forum lol.

Yeah, that :D Did you get my message on Skype?

Also, @Delta, does custom theme support everything changed? Like colors of text, button images and such?
Post by: jorgep28 on August 23, 2014, 08:02:11 pm
looking awesome! i like the idea of having everything you need right there in only one app  :nyan:
Post by: Delta on August 23, 2014, 08:25:31 pm
Yeah, that :D Did you get my message on Skype?

Also, @Delta, does custom theme support everything changed? Like colors of text, button images and such?

Yes it does - but I don't support it fully yet. It will start with simple image replacement.
But later also all colors. ( except of hard coded ones )
Post by: Misa~Chan Rarity on August 24, 2014, 12:00:28 am
I'm calling it now. The whole UGX team really does work for the NSA and planted that statement to throw us off their scent. :derp:
Post by: JBird632 on August 24, 2014, 12:04:23 am
I'm calling it now. The whole UGX team really does work for the NSA and planted that statement to throw us off their scent. :derp:
Nothing gets by you does it.
Post by: holz on August 24, 2014, 05:53:46 am
Finaly a good sorting for Zombiemaps, looks great.
Also the Messenger Function is cool.

Yes it does - but I don't support it fully yet. It will start with simple image replacement.
But later also all colors. ( except of hard coded ones )

Ive made 515 Screenshots (one per Map with Mapname) of nearly all Maps they ever came out.
You can use it if you want, download, resize or link it.

Here is the link:
https://picasaweb.google.com/111544531147288946480/Zombie (https://picasaweb.google.com/111544531147288946480/Zombie)
Post by: RamboBadass on August 24, 2014, 06:33:06 am

Ive made 515 Screenshots (one per Map with Mapname) of nearly all Maps they ever came out.

Here is the link:
https://picasaweb.google.com/111544531147288946480/Zombie (https://picasaweb.google.com/111544531147288946480/Zombie)

kind of sad man ....didn't see my Undead Town :'(
Post by: HitmanVere on August 24, 2014, 08:03:13 am
kind of sad man ....didn't see my Undead Town :'(

Wow, there was even my map  :gusta:
Post by: JBird632 on August 24, 2014, 04:05:53 pm

Here is the link:
Thats pretty cool man, do you take a screen shot of every map you play? - 'cause that's just awesome! I saw the old Overrun, old Lockdown and new Overrun pics in there :)
Post by: Delta on August 24, 2014, 09:45:57 pm
guys stay on topic.

Use PM or a new thread for this, thanks.
Post by: Delta on August 24, 2014, 11:26:39 pm
Donators just recived the first progress update on the UGX Launcher  :nyan:
Post by: mrpeanut188 on August 25, 2014, 04:34:01 am
Donators just recived the first progress update on the UGX Launcher  :nyan:
Quick question, is the messenger and chat function tied to the website functionality at all? That'd be cool if the next version of UGX chat was implemented in the launcher, and the ability to send PMs from it would be pretty sick.
Post by: treminaor on August 25, 2014, 04:44:12 am
Quick question, is the messenger and chat function tied to the website functionality at all? That'd be cool if the next version of UGX chat was implemented in the launcher, and the ability to send PMs from it would be pretty sick.
Chat functionality is already planned and even partially implemented. There's no reason to implement a sending PM function since you will be able to just load our site in the app.
Post by: Delta on August 25, 2014, 07:24:17 am
Chat functionality is already planned and even partially implemented. There's no reason to implement a sending PM function since you will be able to just load our site in the app.

You will be able to send messages to people who are offline as well ( as soon as you add them as a contact )
This will be possible through the UGX Launcher and through any UGX Website.

PM can be still used - but do only make sense if our "Master server" is down for a reason or you want to contact someone who isn't in your contact list yet.

( About the website in the launcher, I think I will disallow any navigation, too much trouble to handle it well right now )
Post by: DeletedUser on August 25, 2014, 05:42:27 pm
SO DAMN EPIC :D
Post by: bigkittyjr on August 25, 2014, 09:31:18 pm
Ok, looks great but the big question (At least to me) is... Will the map file size limit change in the ugx launcher? Or will it stay the same?
Post by: treminaor on August 25, 2014, 09:37:18 pm
Ok, looks great but the big question (At least to me) is... Will the map file size limit change in the ugx launcher? Or will it stay the same?
No it will use the same two servers we already use for the Manager, which means we still choose to impose that limit. Let's put it this way, in 99% of cases if a map is over 350-400mb it's unnecessarily full of redundant files and/or too much uncompressed music for their music box/jukebox. There's no harm in requiring these people to actually be responsible for not including files we don't need to download.

For the other 1% case where the map is filled to the brim with features and hitting all of the engine limits due to the amount of files included then I would be happy to make exceptions on a case-by-case basis.
Post by: P0tZ on August 26, 2014, 12:49:17 am
I am just blown away.
Its looking freaking awesome!
Good job Delta & all the UGX team..Amazing work!
Post by: eliudjb on August 26, 2014, 12:50:47 am

:lol: :lol:
Post by: trewajg on August 29, 2014, 01:48:20 pm
Question, my call of duty world at war is kind of freaky so I can't create an online profile, is the online profile needed to play online with the UGX launcher
Post by: treminaor on August 29, 2014, 04:05:57 pm
Question, my call of duty world at war is kind of freaky so I can't create an online profile, is the online profile needed to play online with the UGX launcher
Yes. It is also needed to play the upcoming donor beta.
Post by: incredibleprojec on August 29, 2014, 04:09:17 pm
This is the best thing
Post by: Ramiabdh on August 29, 2014, 05:41:03 pm
Hey, this is awesome. In fact, I guess this is best thing ugx website did, after the ugx mod. I never thought you guys will create such thing. Nice

Double Post Merge: August 29, 2014, 05:48:01 pm
Also a question: does this replace the need of people to websites. I mean the website could be in this launcher with no need for sites?
Post by: treminaor on August 29, 2014, 06:13:32 pm
Hey, this is awesome. In fact, I guess this is best thing ugx website did, after the ugx mod. I never thought you guys will create such thing. Nice

Double Post Merge: August 29, 2014, 05:48:01 pm
Also a question: does this replace the need of people to websites. I mean the website could be in this launcher with no need for sites?
People use the forum for discussion, help, and tutorials in addition to work in progress map threads and releasing maps before they are approved for the Launcher.
Post by: pashan on August 29, 2014, 07:38:59 pm
Will all maps make it there or only the good ones? Like it is with the map manager.
Post by: DeletedUser on August 29, 2014, 07:46:59 pm
Will all maps make it there or only the good ones? Like it is with the map manager.
Map manager. They wont be changing their policy i think.
Post by: treminaor on August 29, 2014, 07:58:20 pm
Yeah the policies will remain unchanged.
Post by: TheGmanID on August 30, 2014, 04:45:41 pm
So donors get the UGX 1.1 beta before anyone else? So the possible August release date doesn't apply to the average forum member? 
"Excited? - Do you want to try it out?
We hope we can deliver the first public alpha version of the UGX Launcher with the UGX Mod v1.1 donor beta
--> every donator gets access to the UGX Launcher beta as well! <3 <3"
Post by: Delta on August 30, 2014, 08:39:38 pm
So donors get the UGX 1.1 beta before anyone else? So the possible August release date doesn't apply to the average forum member? 
"Excited? - Do you want to try it out?
--> every donator gets access to the UGX Launcher beta as well! <3 <3"

exactly.
Post by: TheGmanID on August 30, 2014, 09:08:22 pm
exactly.
God damn  it, I guess I better donate. If I donate just after it gets released to donors, will I still be able to get it early? Or will I have to wait until the actual release date?
Post by: treminaor on August 30, 2014, 11:30:43 pm
God damn  it, I guess I better donate. If I donate just after it gets released to donors, will I still be able to get it early? Or will I have to wait until the actual release date?
You will still get it.