UGX-Mods

Call of Duty 5: World at War => Work-In-Progress => Custom Maps, Mods & Tools => Mods => Topic started by: SparkyMcSparks on June 01, 2014, 10:32:22 pm

Title: Zombies Campaign Mod
Post by: SparkyMcSparks on June 01, 2014, 10:32:22 pm
Thought I'd finally post this since people see me on Steam using the mod tools and have been asking a lot, figured it'd be good to have some transparency to see if anyone has ideas or feedback for the mod while it's being worked on.

What It Is
A linear experience that is more about getting from point A to point B with Nazi Zombies slowing you down. Think of Extinction, but instead of forcefully making players stop every couple feet to defend it'll all be randomly generated in real-time by script constantly polling to see how players are doing and what to throw at them in terms of Zombies.

What It Isn't
This isn't a game type like Objectives game mode that is layered on top of the regular Classic game type, this mod is fully catered to bringing a similar experience you get from Call of Duty singleplayer levels but with a Zombie twist.

Who's Working On It
Just me and DidUKnowIPwn are scripting. We have a map donated by Zeroy (MP_Argentan_Night) that we are using. Currently this seems to be a good size team since we're just focusing on getting the mod to a playable state.

Features
We don't want to lock ourselves into features that don't work or aren't fun, this is an iterative process and will take time to see what works and doesn't work. But for now...

* Zombies spawn dynamically at random spots as you play every time.
* Intensity ramps up dynamically depending on how bad or good you are doing.
* Vignettes to help tell a story for each level.

How Can I Get Updates?
Either this thread or visit / subscribe to my Twitch where I'll regularly try to stream development (although most of the time it may be uneventful until we get something more playable up and running): http://www.twitch.tv/sparkymcsparks (http://www.twitch.tv/sparkymcsparks)

I have ideas / suggestions, where can I get them to you guys?
Please post ideas here with your username for tracking: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1H9fMLZXcnrqGrBEBjDQIBhCLb4zejD8RFZsj4Iggcro/edit?usp=sharing

Can You Make A Map For It?
Yes! While the mod isn't currently released, you can still start working on a map for it if you like.

Design a map that is linear, don't worry about doors / gates / scripted events as those are influx -- it shouldn't be stopping you from laying out a map.

Right now we're trying to keep it very modular. At the very least, to get the mod working in your map all you'd have to do is add a line of script_structs from beginning to end. The mod takes care of the rest in populating your map based on players getting from beginning to the end, and using path nodes to dynamically drop in zombies.

Here is the layout for ZM Argentan:
Green Lines == Various routes to take
Red Lines == Script_Structs which allow the mod to run on your map.
(https://www.ugx-mods.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2Fqb0oEzb.png&hash=c67adbab2d3301d19dfd8f7e1975e312ede841f8)
Title: Re: Zombies Campaign Mod
Post by: Dust on June 01, 2014, 10:34:40 pm
Wow sounds awesome! Definitely would love to use this in my maps
Post by: timelordalex on June 01, 2014, 10:36:55 pm
(https://www.ugx-mods.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Ffc04.deviantart.net%2Ffs71%2Ff%2F2013%2F357%2Fc%2F8%2Fbatman_approves_thumbs_up_by_bolt187-d6z0hy2.jpg&hash=bb9a5871e7505cee20e3f3789ce49bae6e7ab80f)
Post by: Delta on June 01, 2014, 10:37:30 pm
Interesting.

How do you make sure the level will last long enough?
Will there be dynamic blockers / random events ?

Would it be possible to extend / add own modules to this framework?

Campaign, does it mean mappers can make a bridge from map A to B ( reuse loadout from last map ) or unlock anything from A to B ?

Can't wait for an alpha to test <3
Post by: n123q45 on June 01, 2014, 10:53:32 pm
looks  good  8)
Post by: BluntStuffy on June 01, 2014, 11:14:52 pm
Sounds awesome! I am interested in how you would prevent players from just running from one side to another though, like deadra said. But it's a very nice idea! Can't wait to see some ingame action!!
Post by: JadenSzewczak on June 01, 2014, 11:48:01 pm
+1 respect for you :rainbow:
Post by: tomikaze on June 02, 2014, 12:11:46 am
Yea, it seems like you'd have to have zombies that are faster than players in order to keep you from just running past them and if you do that then you will need to allow players to take more than a few hits AND no objective? I think I've played this game already...um...oh yea it's called L4D.
Post by: chromastone10 on June 02, 2014, 12:21:49 am
So this is like Zombies meets Left 4 Dead? AWESOME!!!
Post by: daedra descent on June 02, 2014, 12:34:49 am
Yea, it seems like you'd have to have zombies that are faster than players in order to keep you from just running past them and if you do that then you will need to allow players to take more than a few hits AND no objective? I think I've played this game already...um...oh yea it's called L4D.

I suggested adding powerups like zombies but you can get things like gun attachments, sights, ammo, ETC and objectives but he doesn't seem to be for either.
Post by: GrantDaddy007 on June 02, 2014, 01:03:40 am
Nice! Can't wait!
Post by: DidUknowiPwn on June 02, 2014, 07:25:52 pm
I suggested adding powerups like zombies but you can get things like gun attachments, sights, ammo, ETC and objectives but he doesn't seem to be for either.
We're thinking of not doing powerups at all, but hey if you can persuade us by all means go ahead :P

Post Merge: June 02, 2014, 07:29:30 pm
Sounds awesome! I am interested in how you would prevent players from just running from one side to another though, like deadra said. But it's a very nice idea! Can't wait to see some ingame action!!
At the moment we're looking into various events that occur when a player reaches a point in the map, so something like in the beginning we might have some player take time to find parts scattered in the first area in order to move the debris. (Won't be an easy challenge :P)
Post by: n123q45 on June 02, 2014, 08:27:34 pm
We're thinking of not doing powerups at all, but hey if you can persuade us by all means go ahead :P

Post Merge: June 02, 2014, 07:29:30 pm
At the moment we're looking into various events that occur when a player reaches a point in the map, so something like in the beginning we might have some player take time to find parts scattered in the first area in order to move the debris. (Won't be an easy challenge :P)
you can do extinction type thing where u got to protect something, kill a boss, or have a blocker fall
Post by: tomikaze on June 02, 2014, 08:38:51 pm
Players must locate a mobile crane and take it across map to demolish a giant wall keeping them in this portion of the city. After finding the mobile crane players must defend it and yourselves from zombie attack. Zombies will attack it from all sides including zombies dropping down on it from overpasses or jumping out the windows of highrise buildings onto it. On your way to the wall the crane stalls and realize that there has been a leak in the gas tank and now they are stranded. Players must look for parts to repair the tank and gas to refuel the vehicle. Later players realize that in its current state they won't be able to make it through the increasing # of zombie attacks and that they need to find better defenses that could be attached to the vehicle itself. They finally make it to the wall and must use the wrecking ball on the crane to destroy the wall and escape that area, all while taking out large #s of zombies in epic grand finale like fashion.

Step 1: Find the Mobile Crane
Step 2: Repair the Crane
Step 3: Upgrade Crane
Step 4: Destroy the Wall
Post by: haxman123 on June 02, 2014, 09:34:21 pm
This is an epic idea :D Also may i add why have you got captain price as your profile pic when you work for treyarch? :D
Post by: KDXDARK on June 02, 2014, 10:21:11 pm
This is an epic idea :D Also may i add why have you got captain price as your profile pic when you work for treyarch? :D
Price is god dude.
Post by: conn6orsuper117 on June 03, 2014, 12:41:49 am
(http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/357/c/8/batman_approves_thumbs_up_by_bolt187-d6z0hy2.jpg)

you shouldve said: Chuck Norris Approves :troll:
but yes, its a good idea
Post by: jorgep28 on July 26, 2014, 05:49:26 am
Is there anything new about this mod? Im pretty exited about this  ;D
Post by: DidUknowiPwn on April 08, 2015, 10:14:12 pm
Some time later mod is back on again and we really need some ideas in which direction to take the mod in.
If you have some good ideas and would like to contribute them comment on it in this thread or place it in: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1H9fMLZXcnrqGrBEBjDQIBhCLb4zejD8RFZsj4Iggcro/edit?usp=sharing
Once again guys please be civil in both the document and in replies, we want to get this mod out for everyone to enjoy so please be smart about this.
Thanks again  8)
Post by: vinnyz500 on April 09, 2015, 12:02:29 am
do u have a rough date for when this will drop? I'd like to make a map for this, but wanna play safe and know it will even release  :please:
Post by: DidUknowiPwn on April 09, 2015, 12:30:56 am
do u have a rough date for when this will drop? I'd like to make a map for this, but wanna play safe and know it will even release  :please:
There isn't one as we're both working on this on our free time (I have more time than Sparky so yeah).
Post by: MakeCents on April 09, 2015, 01:14:23 pm
Love this idea, added some of my own ideas to the drive doc. I also share interest in some of the ideas that were there.
Post by: IHammY/ on April 09, 2015, 02:57:08 pm
Nice! Ive been thinking about something like that aswell but now i dont need to script it myself  :please:
Post by: SparkyMcSparks on April 14, 2015, 09:51:27 pm

We are thinking of having an "early access" build that is publicly updated once a week (once we get something worth playing). And then tweaking / adding to / removing what the community thinks is fun.

Or would you guys rather wait for more finalized builds to go into the wild?
Post by: JBird632 on April 14, 2015, 10:03:16 pm
We are thinking of having an "early access" build that is publicly updated once a week (once we get something worth playing). And then tweaking / adding to / removing what the community thinks is fun.

I personally would wait, as I like playing completely finished maps, though I'm sure there are a lot of people who would love to play early versions of it.
Post by: conn6orsuper117 on April 14, 2015, 11:43:22 pm

I would like to see a public beta.
Post by: JiffyNoodles on April 15, 2015, 09:55:12 pm

I woud rather a full build ready for distribution, then play a BETA that could possibly be buggy, not saying it will be, but you never know
Post by: Harry Bo21 on April 15, 2015, 10:19:44 pm
I woud rather a full build ready for distribution, then play a BETA that could possibly be buggy, not saying it will be, but you never know
I love when this is said

It would be advertised as a beta, if you "dont want to paly a potentially buggy mess" then you could... just not download it and wait for a release AFTER the beta

Why should the beta part of this concept just "not happpen" - how would these *bugs* be found otherwise? Youd just end up with a non-beta map filled with bugs instead... much better

funny that no one complained about the Halo reach, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Destiny or Halo 4 public betas
Post by: JiffyNoodles on April 16, 2015, 06:53:30 am
I love when this is said

It would be advertised as a beta, if you "dont want to paly a potentially buggy mess" then you could... just not download it and wait for a release AFTER the beta

Why should the beta part of this concept just "not happpen" - how would these *bugs* be found otherwise? Youd just end up with a non-beta map filled with bugs instead... much better

funny that no one complained about the Halo reach, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Destiny or Halo 4 public betas
You've got a point, but i wouldn't want a Public BETA, since every young member of the community will just play it and not bother testing anything, which is a shame.
Post by: Harry Bo21 on April 16, 2015, 07:38:46 am
well, basically that leaves a lose lose situation

Even with personally chosen testers, at least 50% of bugs go unnoticed until release. Personally I think having a limited time public beta is good just to find those

But to the same effect, yes all the kiddies will jump on, and start complaining about bugs and glitches, despite that being the very reason the beta exists (Yeah im looking at all you that complained about requiem and Viking ;) )

Basically, my point is, either way, there is still going to be problems and bugs, its natural. Getting it right on the first release even Treyarch seem to struggle with
Post by: MakeCents on April 24, 2015, 05:05:43 pm

How about public sign up for early access. If you rather wait, wait. If you complain about bugs instead of being productive, your off the list, or on the list of not beta approved. So it will be semi private as in you will control who you agree to have it, but limited control since it could be redistributed potentially.
Post by: Harry Bo21 on April 26, 2015, 06:04:24 am
How about public sign up for early access. If you rather wait, wait. If you complain about bugs instead of being productive, your off the list, or on the list of not beta approved. So it will be semi private as in you will control who you agree to have it, but limited control since it could be redistributed potentially.
sounds good to me, incentive to behave
Post by: daedra descent on April 26, 2015, 10:37:02 am

So your saying they should do something other than report bugs? Isn't that kind of the point of beta testing, to complain about bugs/issues that you find? Would you rather they lie and tell you that the map is perfect and has nothing wrong with it, only for non beta testers to complain on release?
Post by: steviewonder87 on April 26, 2015, 01:05:14 pm
So your saying they should do something other than report bugs? Isn't that kind of the point of beta testing, to complain about bugs/issues that you find? Would you rather they lie and tell you that the map is perfect and has nothing wrong with it, only for non beta testers to complain on release?
Complaining about bugs is not just the point of beta testing, it's the point of life am I right Deadra? ;D
Post by: MakeCents on April 26, 2015, 02:29:03 pm

I guess you misunderstood what I meant by "complain about bugs instead of being productive". Being productive would include bug reporting, and giving your opinion. Complaining would include making negative comments that added nothing constructive, or to just start drama for no reason. Kind of like your comment, pointless.
Post by: HitmanVere on April 26, 2015, 03:19:39 pm
Kind of like your comment, pointless.

*Sniff* You smell that? I smell burned DD :D
Post by: DeletedUser on April 26, 2015, 03:21:42 pm
*Sniff* You smell that? I smell burned DD :D
Really? I smell wiffy banta...
Post by: Harry Bo21 on April 26, 2015, 08:00:52 pm
difference between being constructive, finding, identifying and checking bugs, reporting them properly

To the majority of people, they just complain and whine, giving no specific explination as to what happened or even remotely aware of what was happening at the time - Just look at leviathan, 100 odd people going G SPAWN FIX THE MAP!!! - Nearly none explained ANY further than that

Next look at requiem, do you know just how many people complained over that? And for the most part its infact, VERY good? AND IT WAS A "BETA" - something people struggle with the concept of

Project viking, people were reporting bugs that were frickin features

Other people just wanna complain about gun stats, DESPITE the fact we LITERALLY copied the BO2 files in most of these cases, therefore are identical

Stuff like that is just annoying and makes us not even wanna look at fixing these bugs, as we might as well just test, make, play everything ourselves in that case
Post by: daedra descent on April 26, 2015, 09:25:20 pm
difference between being constructive, finding, identifying and checking bugs, reporting them properly

To the majority of people, they just complain and whine, giving no specific explination as to what happened or even remotely aware of what was happening at the time - Just look at leviathan, 100 odd people going G SPAWN FIX THE MAP!!! - Nearly none explained ANY further than that

Next look at requiem, do you know just how many people complained over that? And for the most part its infact, VERY good? AND IT WAS A "BETA" - something people struggle with the concept of

Project viking, people were reporting bugs that were frickin features

Other people just wanna complain about gun stats, DESPITE the fact we LITERALLY copied the BO2 files in most of these cases, therefore are identical

Stuff like that is just annoying and makes us not even wanna look at fixing these bugs, as we might as well just test, make, play everything ourselves in that case

Which is why you probably shouldn't give betas to people who know little about how the game works, or split the beta between the first 'closed' and the second 'open' phases to iron out the worst issues like G Spawn errors beforehand.

In the case of leviathan though, i feel like the amount of people complaining is completely justified since I personally suggested that they get better testers in their WIP topic to begin with - which they ignored - and probably wouldn't have as many people complaining about bugs in the first place. Not saying it'd be perfect, just a little better. 
Post by: Harry Bo21 on April 27, 2015, 01:58:51 am
yea right... coz everyone just telepathically "knows" if someone is gonna be good at it or not...
Post by: daedra descent on April 27, 2015, 02:40:27 am
yea right... coz everyone just telepathically "knows" if someone is gonna be good at it or not...

Deductive reasoning.

Has person X participated in any betas recently?
Has person X reported any bugs while participating in a beta?
Has person X created a custom map before?
Has person X created a custom map that works?

etc.
Post by: DidUknowiPwn on April 27, 2015, 03:50:27 am
Before we get anymore hostile let's just press the restart button :D
Post by: MAK911 on April 27, 2015, 03:51:37 am
Deductive reasoning.

Has person X participated in any betas recently?
Has person X reported any bugs while participating in a beta?
Has person X created a custom map before?
Has person X created a custom map that works?

etc.
So after maybe 2 years, I still don't know what makes a map good? Nice to know.
Post by: daedra descent on April 27, 2015, 04:11:47 am
Before we get anymore hostile let's just press the restart button :D

Agreed.

Anyway, whatever you and that sexy beast known as SparkyMcSparks plan on doing for the beta, i definitely want in.  ;D
Post by: Harry Bo21 on April 27, 2015, 04:29:39 am
Before we get anymore hostile let's just press the restart button

was never hostile, just pointing out the silly side of that argument

Has person X participated in any betas recently? - people can easily lie, or would you expect em to reel off a list of proof with time stamps, or mayhaps a list of references we could contact via the post? Maybe we should also contact the mapper in question and do a personality check on the individual, and check he didnt leave part way or waste anyones time eh

Has person X reported any bugs while participating in a beta? - people can easily lie - or again shall we have them show us somebody elses private beta info to prove it?

Has person X created a custom map before? - you dont NEED to be a mapper to test a map

Has person X created a custom map that works? - again - not interviewing, not applying to help create it in anyway, they are supposed to be regular players out to see what bugs they encounter, not diagnose all the causes and bug fix it themselves

By those standards, the only people who qualify, are the best of the best who are "already" busy with their own works that need beta testing...

Agree to disagree i think  ::)
Post by: DidUknowiPwn on April 27, 2015, 03:36:22 pm
When the time comes we'll think of something just be prepared to sit back for now. Development is under way~
Post by: SparkyMcSparks on July 06, 2015, 10:54:20 pm
Could use some suggestions on possible abilities for each character.

So far the break down is...

RichtofenDempseyNikolaiTakeo
RoleMarksmanTankFighterAssassin
Hero WeaponWunderwaffeKatana

Each character will have / need two abilities that supports their given role: something to provide a burst in gameplay for a short period of time but won't clear out all the zombies in the map.

e.g., Takeo will automatically chain kill 5 zombies with a quick slice from his Katana. Or Dempsey will become invulnerable for 10 seconds.

Also looking for suggestions for wonder weapon ideas for Dempsey and Nikolai.

Let us know what YOU would like to see!

We're trying to release an early build sometime this month that way people can start providing feedback and/or using it for the UGX-Mods & ZomMods Mapping Contest 2015 (http://ugx-mods.com/forum/index.php?topic=7267.0).
Post by: MakeCents on July 06, 2015, 11:04:37 pm
Area affect ground pound, tank.
Post by: KDXDARK on July 06, 2015, 11:07:47 pm
Fighter, enter in berserker mode every 20 headshots for only 10 sec, he do more damage with knife and have extra health :D
Post by: MZslayer11 on July 06, 2015, 11:09:47 pm
Area affect ground pound, tank.

^this

And for Nikolia, takes a swig of vodka then spits fire.
Weapon for Nikolia could be an upgraded super-OP PPSh... because Russia.
Weapon for Dempsy could be the Thundergun.
Post by: JiffyNoodles on July 06, 2015, 11:25:02 pm
^this

And for Nikolia, takes a swig of vodka then spits fire.
Weapon for Nikolia could be an upgraded super-OP PPSh... because Russia.
Weapon for Dempsy could be the Thundergun.
I was thinking Minigun, since Thundergun is russian, give it to nikolai
Post by: Harry Bo21 on July 06, 2015, 11:28:26 pm
thundergun is a combination of russian and german. Hence why Richtofen calls it the DG3, him and Maxis were "involved" as well as that dude from Ascention whos name i always forget (Its not Gersch, the other guy, Yuri I think his name was)

They also explain that its low ammo count is actually a "problem" with its design that they were ultimately trying to fix, albeit unsuccessfully. I liked that touch, little bit of back ground for a guns ammo capacity lol

Always made me think a TG mkII was coming though, sadly it didnt lol
Post by: MZslayer11 on July 06, 2015, 11:58:53 pm
I was thinking Minigun, since Thundergun is russian, give it to nikolai

forgot about that lol
Post by: JiffyNoodles on July 07, 2015, 12:02:41 am
thundergun is a combination of russian and german. Hence why Richtofen calls it the DG3, him and Maxis were "involved" as well as that dude from Ascention whos name i always forget (Its not Gersch, the other guy, Yuri I think his name was)

They also explain that its low ammo count is actually a "problem" with its design that they were ultimately trying to fix, albeit unsuccessfully. I liked that touch, little bit of back ground for a guns ammo capacity lol

but you get the idea, it is russian/german hybrid, but it's closer to russian than american, that's the point i'm trying to prove, because the Minigun is MURICA, while the Thundergun is russian and german
Post by: Harry Bo21 on July 07, 2015, 12:03:40 am
Yea i get ya, i just cant control my need to share pointless facts is all lol  :D
Post by: MAK911 on July 07, 2015, 12:40:40 am
Or is it? :troll:
Post by: JiffyNoodles on July 07, 2015, 01:55:21 am
Or is it? :troll:
Black Ops 3 Wonderweapon Confirmed :please:
Post by: DidUknowiPwn on July 07, 2015, 03:40:47 am
Black Ops 3 Wonderweapon Confirmed :please:
Nah it's going to be all about lasers coming out of your characters butt as a perk.
Post by: Harry Bo21 on July 07, 2015, 03:53:01 am
Nah it's going to be all about lasers coming out of your characters butt as a perk.
... actually sounds kinda awesome

ENEMY IN FRONT, EVERYONE FACE THE OTHERWAY NOW! FIRE!

lol, im so crude ;)
Post by: MAK911 on July 07, 2015, 04:16:46 am
... actually sounds kinda awesome

ENEMY IN FRONT, EVERYONE FACE THE OTHERWAY NOW! FIRE!

lol, im so crude ;)
Laser Diarrhea Campers. Now I not only get their "balls" in my face, but they can shoot me with their assholes. GG Treyarch.
Post by: KeepACrawler on August 30, 2015, 03:41:21 am
Give Dempsey some sort of up close, in your face melee weapon....some new kind of riot shield on steroids.
Or better yet, fuck a weapon, let him bare knuckle bash the zombies heads in!
....ok, I mighta got a lil worked up there for a sec :o ::)
Post by: MakeCents on November 19, 2015, 05:34:36 pm
I checked the Google Docs and saw all the content deleted, does that mean this is cancelled?
Post by: DidUknowiPwn on November 19, 2015, 06:04:24 pm
I checked the Google Docs and saw all the content deleted, does that mean this is cancelled?
Some asshole deleted it.

http://i.imgur.com/zjP8DMO.png (http://i.imgur.com/zjP8DMO.png)

Restored it back to my last previous edit.

We might also move this to BO3 due to Nightmare mode.
Post by: MakeCents on November 19, 2015, 06:08:21 pm
Oh cool, haven't played Nightmare mode yet, but the idea sounds cool.
Post by: DeletedUser on November 20, 2015, 04:49:28 am
look pretty sweet. depending on the release time i might use this for TLSR, the map was never really intended too be used for something like this but itll fit with the story.

Though i have a few questions: Will the objectives be randomized or will we have too set specific obstacles/objectives.(example: say a struct is where the obstacle/objective is. would we be able too specify whether it is a: hold out for 5 min, or will it give you one of many different obstacles/objectives?) Also will we be able too set the places where the objectives/obstacles are and their order? Will we be able too have new areas open up as we complete objectives/clear obstacles. And how many objectives/obstacles will we be able too have at one time?