UGX-Mods

Everything Else => Computer Tech => Topic started by: daedra descent on April 17, 2014, 10:42:01 pm

Title: Unused HDMI and VGA outputs - can they be used?
Post by: daedra descent on April 17, 2014, 10:42:01 pm
Title mostly says it all. I found a HDMI and VGA ports under a "This part is unused" sticker(HDMI) and a "Do Not Open" cap(VGA), and was wondering if they could actually be used(despite what the stickers say).
Title: Re: Unused HDMI and VGA outputs - can they be used?
Post by: treminaor on April 17, 2014, 11:21:24 pm
Title mostly says it all. I found a HDMI and VGA ports under a "This part is unused" sticker(HDMI) and a "Do Not Open" cap(VGA), and was wondering if they could actually be used(despite what the stickers say).
you might be able to do dual monitors but if they had stickers over them it usually means only one can be used at a time.
Post by: daedra descent on April 17, 2014, 11:25:12 pm
you might be able to do dual monitors but if they had stickers over them it usually means only one can be used at a time.

Well the VGA output that i'm currently using is connected to the GPU, while the external one is connected directly to the motherboard, does that make a difference? What would happen if i tried using both of them?
Post by: treminaor on April 17, 2014, 11:27:17 pm
Well the VGA output that i'm currently using is connected to the GPU, while the external one is connected directly to the motherboard, does that make a difference? What would happen if i tried using both of them?
You may have to enable the VGA port in the BIOS since its the onboard gpu - and if its enabled you can use it as a second output.
Post by: daedra descent on April 17, 2014, 11:45:14 pm
You may have to enable the VGA port in the BIOS since its the onboard gpu - and if its enabled you can use it as a second output.

Just took a look in the BIOS and i couldn't find an option for enabling/disabling an integrated GPU. Could it be possible that it doesn't have one?
Post by: treminaor on April 17, 2014, 11:53:37 pm
Just took a look in the BIOS and i couldn't find an option for enabling/disabling an integrated GPU. Could it be possible that it doesn't have one?
If you see the VGA port physically connected to the board inside then I would be 99% sure it has one, otherwise they wouldnt have put the ports there. Have you tried using it?
Post by: MistaC4 on April 18, 2014, 01:22:35 am
Wait am i reading this correctly but do you want a external gpu???
Post by: daedra descent on April 18, 2014, 02:43:23 am
Wait am i reading this correctly but do you want a external gpu???

Ha, no. I have an ATI 7350 GPU.
Post by: Alerion on April 18, 2014, 09:57:05 am
I accidentally used the on-board vga multiple times. It did technically work but the monitor wasn't able to use the external gpu. Maybe it's possible to change that in the bios settings, but I never tried because my gpu has two.
Post by: daedra descent on April 18, 2014, 03:18:58 pm
I accidentally used the on-board vga multiple times. It did technically work but the monitor wasn't able to use the external gpu. Maybe it's possible to change that in the bios settings, but I never tried because my gpu has two.

Well, the only thing that i could find in the BIOS was things like Intel Turbo which i assume if for my CPU and not my GPU.

if it helps any, my computer is an ASPIRE M3970G.