UGX-Mods

Everything Else => General Discussion => Topic started by: Alerion on February 27, 2014, 02:10:48 pm

Title: Odd Ads
Post by: Alerion on February 27, 2014, 02:10:48 pm
I am currently experiencing odd ads on UGX
There have been a few different ones untill now redirecting me to other sites or trying to download things.
A few minutes ago this happened:
(https://www.ugx-mods.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FCKqgKN7.jpg&hash=aea4cc74a44d7d2e7957270d488297ce2597522b)

I have already checked my machine for viruses multiple times with multiple tools and UGX is the only site where things like that happen even though I'm on a lot more sites on a regular base (eg. Facebook, GCZ, Game Jolt, Explosm, 9gag,...).

Are there others having the same issues or am I the only one?
And if I am, is there anything I can do about that?
Title: Re: Odd Ads
Post by: daedra descent on February 27, 2014, 02:35:34 pm
This is the third time someone has reported weird things happening on the UGX site, so no, your not alone.

I PM'd trem about these things but he said that it must be something with my computer, which i HIGHLY doubt is the case.
Post by: basziee on February 27, 2014, 02:57:20 pm
if i visit ugx mod on my mobile i always redirected to another mobile site
with adds and it automaticly download mobogenie.apk
Post by: daedra descent on February 27, 2014, 03:10:45 pm
The best thing anyone can do ATM is installing adblock and disable pop-ups at all times.
Post by: Lukkie1998 on February 27, 2014, 03:25:30 pm
This happened when I was visiting UGX on my phone.
(https://www.ugx-mods.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1110.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fh445%2Flukkie1998%2FScreenshot_2014-02-08-19-45-07.png&hash=6cfeb326ef631a5aa7985b0a0263eb8e0796eaeb)
(https://www.ugx-mods.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1110.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fh445%2Flukkie1998%2FScreenshot_2014-02-08-19-46-35.png&hash=714e6e6ce83bb13087673d27ba8d707284938a41)

And trem, my phone doesn't have a virus or something. The problem is in the site
Post by: Alerion on February 27, 2014, 03:56:48 pm
I even got a Ucash virus while being on this site.. luckily ESET removed it shortly after.
Post by: Delta on February 27, 2014, 04:14:42 pm
Apperently many ad services were injected with malware.
( even google doubleclick )

The reason we have ads should be mentioned multiple times already.

Feel free to install AdBlock. - But I highly recommend to install NoScript and only whitelist sites you trust.

Also an up-2-date AntiVirus / AntiMalware is highly recommended
( I use Avast FREE and MalwareBytes, as wall as SpyBot 2 )

I apologize in the name of UGX Mods if there were any inconvenient situations but we do not have direct control on the ads.

I will talk to treminaor to see if we can do something from out side.
Post by: treminaor on February 27, 2014, 04:29:59 pm
I browse the site with ads enabled on many different computers and devices, including ones which have no adblock or antivirus installed and do not encounter any of this.

I will see what I can do about potentially cleaning up the ads but the reason I consistently deny these issues is because I cannot personally reproduce them and it was generally the same 2-3 people complaining.

@basziee you are a donator and don't even have ads enabled as a result, so I have no idea how you could be experiencing any issues related to ads on our site...
Post by: Alerion on February 27, 2014, 04:56:30 pm
The reason why I created this topic was mainly to identify wether I have some kind of a super-virus or it's site related.
I am sure that even if something is wrong it's definitely not your fault. It just seems like some malicious stuff is going on here and not saying anything could have much worse consequences than listening to a few complaints.

I am very gratefull that even though it doesn't seem to affect all users you still try to help us.
Post by: Ege115 on February 27, 2014, 05:40:00 pm
I will see what I can do about potentially cleaning up the ads but the reason I consistently deny these issues is because I cannot personally reproduce them and it was generally the same 2-3 people complaining.

Treminaor, ignore my post about the random music that popped up all the time when I visited this site, because I didn't have the latest update for google chrome which maybe can be easier for hackers to hack if I use an old update. I installed it and the music disappeared.

So you can count off my complaint, sorry for the unnecessary complaint  :)
Post by: daedra descent on February 27, 2014, 06:11:41 pm
So just to make sure, when i was being redirected to other sites on the wiki it was because of malware from the ads? how is that even possible when i used adblock, unless the ads load and then adblock just deletes the ad on the page?
Post by: Alerion on February 27, 2014, 06:41:42 pm
So just to make sure, when i was being redirected to other sites on the wiki it was because of malware from the ads? how is that even possible when i used adblock, unless the ads load and then adblock just deletes the ad on the page?

Probably not because normally (at least ABP) the adblocker blocks the ads from loading and doesn't just remove the pictures.
Post by: daedra descent on February 27, 2014, 06:57:08 pm
Probably not because normally (at least ABP) the adblocker blocks the ads from loading and doesn't just remove the pictures.

I see. So it must be more than just the ads that are causing these things to happen, because i never allow ads. Ever.

I did a google search about ads and found this: http://blogs.technet.com/b/mmpc/archive/2013/06/20/ad-injection-and-you-how-adware-gets-on-your-computer.aspx (http://blogs.technet.com/b/mmpc/archive/2013/06/20/ad-injection-and-you-how-adware-gets-on-your-computer.aspx)

The message under the google search is what happened after i got redirected.
Post by: Alerion on February 27, 2014, 07:30:34 pm
The ads I experience on this site do seem like adware. However, I can't find any odd software on my machine which should have been previously installed according to that article.
Post by: daedra descent on February 27, 2014, 08:06:22 pm
The ads I experience on this site do seem like adware. However, I can't find any odd software on my machine which should have been previously installed according to that article.

Neither did I, yet it still redirected me to about 5 different sites before telling me my computer *might* be infected.
Post by: Zombiejelly on February 27, 2014, 08:07:53 pm
Im not sure what you are experiencing, I know that anything I goto on this site never redirects me anywhere. It could be your browser I suppose. If it gets too annoying just put ad blocker on. It should take care of it
Post by: daedra descent on February 27, 2014, 08:18:51 pm
I was using both the lastest version of FireFox aswell as AdBlock. Was still redirected to the other sites.

EDIT: just clicked on the OpenZIP ad on the homepage and the schools content filter blocked if on the grounds that it was "security.virus", while the PDF ad was categorized as "spyware". The minecraft ad was okay(i guess).
Post by: Delta on February 27, 2014, 08:53:39 pm
Well that sounds weird, if you still get redirected.

Does it still happen? - Use NoScript. That will prevent such thing.

( did you ran any anti virus / malware stuff on your pc ? )

[also to your article: if you install these applications - it's defenitely your fault and you shoud consider to visit a basic computer security course]
Post by: DarkWhiss on February 27, 2014, 09:06:12 pm
I visit the site very frequently on my PC and mobile device and have never experienced any issues with ads at all.
Post by: daedra descent on February 27, 2014, 09:51:52 pm
Well that sounds weird, if you still get redirected.

Does it still happen? - Use NoScript. That will prevent such thing.

( did you ran any anti virus / malware stuff on your pc ? )

[also to your article: if you install these applications - it's defenitely your fault and you shoud consider to visit a basic computer security course]

My old computer, not my new one(thank god). The redirecting only lasted for 5 minutes, then it just magically stopped(didn't even run an anti-virus scan before it stopped, but i ran it anyway shortly after).

i was running Microsoft Security Essentials at the time. I also used it to scan my computer, if it detected anything it wouldn't show it in the list.

No i never downloaded anything either. Just starting happening when i clicked on the UGX-MODs logo. All the other links on the Wiki worked fine(as far i could tell).

Post by: Alerion on February 28, 2014, 02:03:41 pm
I never said that it had to come from your site directly, it was just the only site where I ever encountered this.

I do (as already said) use ESET, Google Chrome (with auto updates enabled), ABP and do regularilly scan and clean up my PC (mainly via CCleaner). I'm hardly on any smaller sites so I can't immagine where I could have infected my machine and how it was even possible.
There is a reason why I created this topic in "General Discussion" and not at a directly site related board. I DO encounter strange things and I want to get rid of them not depending on where I got them from.
I NEVER install toolbars and also can't remember when I used a softonic-downloader for the last time, it was way before I started to see weird ads.

Is there anything else I can do besides resettng the whole machine? I would consider doing that but my internet connention is horrible especially when it comes to download something. It makes me shiver when I think about all the setups I would have to download and re-install but if that's the only sollution I might do that.
Post by: treminaor on February 28, 2014, 11:25:50 pm
I never said that it had to come from your site directly, it was just the only site where I ever encountered this.
That was mainly directled at the people who have been either telling me that or implying that for the last couple weeks. My response was directed at everyone, not just you specifically :)

I do (as already said) use ESET, Google Chrome (with auto updates enabled), ABP and do regularilly scan and clean up my PC (mainly via CCleaner).
Good.

I'm hardly on any smaller sites so I can't immagine where I could have infected my machine and how it was even possible.
Download "MalwareBytes Anti-Malware" from here (http://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/) and scan your computer. See if anything comes up.

Thank you for your response and again I meant no offense to you by my last response, I was trying to answer everyone's concerns at once.
Post by: Alerion on March 01, 2014, 08:47:11 am
Thank you for your response and again I meant no offense to you by my last response, I was trying to answer everyone's concerns at once.

I know you wouldn't offend anybody without a very good reason. I just wasn't sure how much I clarified that I never tried to offend you as my english skills may be above average but they're still not perfect:P

Ad thank you very much for that program, the quick scan alone found 4 infected objects, I'm currently running a complete scan.
Untill now I wasn't aware that my normal antivirus doesn't scan for malware :derp:.
Post by: treminaor on March 01, 2014, 08:48:40 am
Untill now I wasn't aware that my normal antivirus doesn't scan for malware :derp:.
Yep, that's my only complaint with ESET nod32 (which I use personally as well).
Post by: DeletedUser on March 01, 2014, 08:51:17 am
Temporary solution for ads: donate or use AdBlock
Post by: Alerion on March 01, 2014, 08:54:14 am
Temporary solution for ads: donate or use AdBlock

I do have the adblocker active (as you could have read  :D)
I would have donated too already but then I read that the UGX-apparel might become avilable in germany too and buying something from there wouldn't just make me a donor but would also give me the opportunity to make this site a bit more popular.

EDIT: the complete scan already found 2 new suspicious files and isn't even halfway done. Where do I GET these from? I'm a bit derpy sometimes but I'm not the one who clicks on every "play minecraft for free" button. And I stopped supporting piracy before I bought this machine (so at least 2 years ago).
PS: I'm currently buying every game I had played before so I guess I'm slowly weakening the guilt.
Post by: treminaor on March 01, 2014, 09:03:39 am
EDIT: the complete scan already found 2 new suspicious files and isn't even halfway done. Where do I GET these from? I'm a bit derpy sometimes but I'm not the one who clicks on every "play minecraft for free" button. And I stopped supporting piracy before I bought this machine (so at least 2 years ago).
PS: I'm currently buying every game I had played before so I guess I'm slowly weakening the guilt.
It considers tracking cookies (I think it refers to them as "PUPs", which stands for Potentially Unwanted Programs) as threats so some of what you're finding might not be anything to actually care about. As far as the rest, I have no idea. Just ran a scan on my desktop to see what would come up and it found nothing.
Post by: Alerion on March 01, 2014, 09:09:16 am
Well at least three of them were cookies then. When the complete scan is done I'll see what the others are called.
Post by: daedra descent on March 01, 2014, 09:14:52 am

As if i care what happens to my schools computers.  :please:

The ads shouldn't be so misleading anyway. Yes most people have the common sense to know that the ads aren't what they say they are, but not all. I swear i saw an ad that said "download mod" without specifying what "mod" it was talking about. Someone could get confused and think that its the link to the UGX mod or something.
Post by: treminaor on March 01, 2014, 09:16:26 am
As if i care what happens to my schools computers.  :please:

The ads shouldn't be so misleading anyway. Yes most people have the common sense to know that the ads aren't what they say they are, but not all. I swear i saw an ad that said "download mod" without specifying what "mod" it was talking about. Someone could get confused and think that its the link to the UGX mod or something.
The ads are generated by the ad network to be relevant to the site's content. If the ads were totally irrelevant then the visitors to the site would have no reason to click them. This is how the ad industry works.
Post by: daedra descent on March 01, 2014, 09:23:27 am
The ads are generated by the ad network to be relevant to the site's content. If the ads were totally irrelevant then the visitors to the site would have no reason to click them. This is how the ad industry works.

Ads are good in general, that i agree with. However when advertisers start infecting peoples computers with malware then the line has been crossed. If advertisers can't make money off of ads in an honest, nonharmful way then they need to rethink their advertising strategy.
Post by: Alerion on March 01, 2014, 09:45:16 am
Ads are good in general, that i agree with. However when advertisers start infecting peoples computers with malware then the line has been crossed. If advertisers can't make money off of ads in an honest, nonharmful way then they need to rethink their advertising strategy.

I don't think that most malware comes in that way. as for me it could have entered because I used old setups for things like java, flash-player etc. and then updted them because it was less stuff to download that way. These old setups might have been infected because I didn't have a good antivirus that time..
and as I use AdBlocker almost allways I might just not have noticed that something was wrong all along.
Post by: treminaor on March 05, 2014, 09:26:04 pm
I spoke with the advertising network today and they said they will investigate the ads displayed on the site and block any that are creating popups, redirects, or anything else.
Post by: Alerion on March 05, 2014, 09:56:32 pm
Even though MalwareBytes didn't find anything besides some cookies I didn't encounter strange things anymore.

But thank you very much for your support and (hopefully) we can close this tread soon.
Post by: treminaor on March 06, 2014, 04:34:45 pm
YesAdvertising stated that they have just now blocked some ads that looked "suspicious", so we'll see if the situation improves.
Post by: Alerion on March 06, 2014, 05:32:26 pm
I'll disable my adblocker and see if I still encounter them.
Post by: daedra descent on March 06, 2014, 05:43:50 pm
Did they give any specifics on what ads looked "suspicious"?
Post by: treminaor on March 06, 2014, 05:44:30 pm
Did they give any specifics on what ads looked "suspicious"?
Nope.
Post by: zombie madness on March 13, 2014, 12:47:08 pm
ihave never had a single advert only ads i get is on firefox when clicking on links on google and facebook etc it opens a new browers and tabs but never on chrome
Post by: treminaor on March 31, 2014, 08:22:53 pm
Well after getting the "run around" from our advertising provider for the past month I finally just decided to drop them and use someone else. As a result, all of the redirection and popups and intrusive ads people were experiencing have gone away. The advertising company denied that they had anything to do with this but obviously it is directly related since the action of removing the ads fixed all of the issues.

I hope everyone can have a better experience visiting this site now and I apologize to anyone who had to deal with any of this ad stuff while trying to use the site.
Post by: Alerion on April 02, 2014, 01:35:52 pm
They did go away for me quite a while ago. Shortly after you announced that they had filtered some adds out.