UGX-Mods

Everything Else => Computer Tech => Topic started by: daedra descent on February 16, 2014, 05:12:07 am

Title: New computer - what you guys think?
Post by: daedra descent on February 16, 2014, 05:12:07 am
I Just got a new computer and was wondering what you guys think about the specs. Personally i think its amazing considering it only cost $450 and its blazing fast. The only issues is that it didn't come with an internet adapter so i'm using a USB one, and the OS keeps hanging for some reason and i have no idea why.  :P

(https://www.ugx-mods.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fgyazo.com%2F5dd10f10a49e55d394d81b4f8d0b6524.png&hash=af31bc8f038056dd5d67a8c2dda2ce7f24a72029)

(https://www.ugx-mods.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fgyazo.com%2Fe8fadf2170ab36b55473e875b8f08c99.png&hash=645d405ef2eef504a3798026bb1b602a26f0187b)
Title: Re: New computer - what you guys think?
Post by: DeathBringerZen on February 16, 2014, 01:54:12 pm
For $450, yeah... that's a good deal man. Specs are pretty decent.
Post by: GAFerreira13 on February 16, 2014, 02:55:10 pm
specs are decent, that's a tower pc right?
Post by: daedra descent on February 16, 2014, 04:58:38 pm
Actually it was everything. It came with a huge monitor that takes half of my desk that looks absolutely beautiful. I can't tell you guys how good it is to run games at around 60FPS on World at War, though for some reason Left 4 Dead 2 drops to 15 FPS in some areas.
Post by: DeathBringerZen on February 16, 2014, 05:29:39 pm
though for some reason Left 4 Dead 2 drops to 15 FPS in some areas.

I have issues running L4D2 at times also despite being WAY above the recommended specs!? Strange thing is... all the custom maps I have play perfectly fine.

You could possibly try a different graphics driver. Helps in most of these cases.
Post by: GAFerreira13 on February 16, 2014, 05:52:49 pm
i've never seen that graphics card in my life tho, but i can tell you that being the third digit "3" it means youll soon have to upgrade your GPU if you want to play more modenr games
Post by: treminaor on February 16, 2014, 06:43:10 pm
though for some reason Left 4 Dead 2 drops to 15 FPS in some areas.
That would be because the ATI Radeon™ HD 7530 Graphics Card in it is not up to modern gaming spec at all. You'd have to crank L4D2 down to the lowest settings to even get a playable framerate on that card, and even then it wouldn't be consistent.

The rest of the computer was a good deal but I suggest buying a gaming graphics card as soon as possible.

The 7530 isn't even in the benchmarking database (http://videocardbenchmark.net) which means it wasn't even worth benchmarking. It's basically the equivalent performance of a card you'd pick up for $40 at the local electronics shop, and according to the articles I've found on it it's intended for laptop use, not desktop gaming.
Post by: daedra descent on February 16, 2014, 07:42:29 pm
That would be because the ATI Radeon™ HD 7530 Graphics Card in it is not up to modern gaming spec at all. You'd have to crank L4D2 down to the lowest settings to even get a playable framerate on that card, and even then it wouldn't be consistent.

The rest of the computer was a good deal but I suggest buying a gaming graphics card as soon as possible.

The 7530 isn't even in the benchmarking database (http://videocardbenchmark.net) which means it wasn't even worth benchmarking. It's basically the equivalent performance of a card you'd pick up for $40 at the local electronics shop, and according to the articles I've found on it it's intended for laptop use, not desktop gaming.

Yeah, i wasn't sure about the graphics card to begin with, but i knew that the CPU and ram was pretty good. I saw an GTX 760 at Bestbuy, would that work?

also, would you happen to know why Windows keeps cache all my ram? cuz it think its why my OS keeps stuttering.
Post by: treminaor on February 16, 2014, 07:48:44 pm
Yeah, i wasn't sure about the graphics card to begin with, but i knew that the CPU and ram was pretty good. I saw an GTX 760 at Bestbuy, would that work?
Yeah, the 760 is a good card.

also, would you happen to know why Windows keeps cache all my ram? cuz it think its why my OS keeps stuttering.
No, never had that problem.
Post by: DeathBringerZen on February 16, 2014, 07:58:20 pm

You should go into your startup menu through the 'msconfig' and see what is starting up when the OS boots up. There may be a few programs in there that are eating away at your ram.

I would recommend disabling all programs in there anyway.
Post by: daedra descent on February 16, 2014, 08:05:27 pm
You should go into your startup menu through the 'msconfig' and see what is starting up when the OS boots up. There may be a few programs in there that are eating away at your ram.

I would recommend disabling all programs in there anyway.

Yeah, that was one of the first things i did.

According to an article that i read, its because of a windows service that caches used programs so they can be instantly used later. I've disabled it but the issue still persists(though not nearly as bad).

Post by: DeathBringerZen on February 16, 2014, 08:14:23 pm
My next suggestion would have been to clean up the registry but I am going to assume you got that one done also.

Nothing beats a clean install man.
Post by: daedra descent on February 16, 2014, 08:17:46 pm
My next suggestion would have been to clean up the registry but I am going to assume you got that one done also.

Nothing beats a clean install man.

CCleaner for the win.

The person who had it already did a factory reset.
Post by: GAFerreira13 on February 16, 2014, 08:18:10 pm
Go to Control Panel - System - Advanced System Settings - Performance Settings in Advanced tab - Advanced tab - Under Virtual Memory, ensure that you're letting the system manage your pagefile's size.
Post by: daedra descent on February 16, 2014, 08:28:04 pm
Go to Control Panel - System - Advanced System Settings - Performance Settings in Advanced tab - Advanced tab - Under Virtual Memory, ensure that you're letting the system manage your pagefile's size.

I change that aswell. The pagesize was set like 4 GB under the recommended amount so i changed it.
Post by: moonmaster1 on February 16, 2014, 10:21:48 pm
Its a decent computer, I imagine you could run most things.

Is your computer stock or custom? No matter the answer, is it upgradable?
Post by: daedra descent on February 16, 2014, 10:52:08 pm
Its a decent computer, I imagine you could run most things.

Is your computer stock or custom? No matter the answer, is it upgradable?

Not sure. If it was stock i doubt it'd have 8 GB, but if it was custom i would think i'd have to have a better GPU so IDK.
Post by: moonmaster1 on February 16, 2014, 11:00:26 pm
I've seen a 400 dollar lenovo brand pc with 8GBs of ram at best buy.

Most budget pcs have 1 - 4 however with the advent of more sophisticated technology it would seem many retailers are starting to take notice, as evidenced with the launch for the next gen consoles this past fall.
Post by: daedra descent on February 16, 2014, 11:07:07 pm
I've seen a 400 dollar lenovo brand pc with 8GBs of ram at best buy.

Most budget pcs have 1 - 4 however with the advent of more sophisticated technology it would seem many retailers are starting to take notice, as evidenced with the launch for the next gen consoles this past fall.

I just figured its unlikely because manufacturers are always looking to get the quickest dollar, even if it means screweing over the people who spend good money for their product.
Post by: moonmaster1 on February 16, 2014, 11:11:49 pm
I have no arguments there, my compaq mobo was the absolute worst. Had to bypass the bios at startup because my processor was unsupported. Until I had enough of course and started to build my own last april.

8GB cpus are becoming more widespread as the cost to make them are going down now that we are beginning to move onto a ddr5 format starting. Soon I fear 8gbs will no longer be a benchmark but a requirement. 
Post by: daedra descent on February 16, 2014, 11:22:58 pm
I have no arguments there, my compaq mobo was the absolute worst. Had to bypass the bios at startup because my processor was unsupported. Until I had enough of course and started to build my own last april.

8GB cpus are becoming more widespread as the cost to make them are going down now that we are beginning to move onto a ddr5 format starting. Soon I fear 8gbs will no longer be a benchmark but a requirement.

i hope it doesn't come to that yet. Alot of computers these days only have about 2-4GB of ram still, so alot of people are going to be excluded from playing games that they could (potentially) still run.
Post by: GAFerreira13 on February 17, 2014, 06:57:25 pm

You mean DDR4. The GDDR5 is basically a DDR3 with higher latency and much higher clocks, we're years away of DDR5
Post by: daedra descent on February 18, 2014, 10:08:31 pm
I've been noticing some very odd noises from my headphone when i boot up my computer and the volume slider on youtube videos don't work, so there all stuck on the highest volume level and the windows sound bar is the only thing that works.

anyone got a clue why?
Post by: treminaor on February 19, 2014, 04:35:20 am
Saw this on Reddit, reminded me of this topic:
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/149-nvidia-gtx-750-ti-unveiled-plays-titanfall-better-than-xbox-one/1100-6417813/ (http://www.gamespot.com/articles/149-nvidia-gtx-750-ti-unveiled-plays-titanfall-better-than-xbox-one/1100-6417813/)

Definitely a card to consider if you are on a tight budget.
Post by: daedra descent on February 19, 2014, 04:50:53 am
Saw this on Reddit, reminded me of this topic:
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/149-nvidia-gtx-750-ti-unveiled-plays-titanfall-better-than-xbox-one/1100-6417813/ (http://www.gamespot.com/articles/149-nvidia-gtx-750-ti-unveiled-plays-titanfall-better-than-xbox-one/1100-6417813/)

Definitely a card to consider if you are on a tight budget.

I'll hold off for a little on the GPU. Even if it lags a bit, it can still hold an okay framerate at 30FPS in the stock World at War maps(World at War is the only game i've bought on steam), so i don't need it just yet.

anyway, the article mentions that the GPU is more powerful than the Xbox One's. if i do get it in the future, will my computer be the equivalent of the Xbox one is specs or is the lack of 8 cores and the 24 MB of ES ram(i think that's the amount/name) make that much of a difference?
Post by: moonmaster1 on February 19, 2014, 06:08:53 am
What it really comes to is how much resources are being taken up by either machine's O.S.

PS4 uses half for resources for bios, instant snapshots and cloud storage to "Insert Social Media Page Here."

I'm not sure about xbone however the have the same social media features whereas the PC isn't set up in that manner unless it is integrated into the game.  (Pac-Man Championship Edition DX comes to mind.)
Post by: GAFerreira13 on February 19, 2014, 03:05:45 pm
Sorry have no idea for your headphones problem. Maybe install/update audio drivers?
As for the Xbox, altough your specs would be equivalent, you cant compare a pc with the same specs as a console, because for consoles, games are programmed with Sony and Microsofts's APIs which make games run much better on consoles, while for PC the companies have to make ports that are able to run on Intel and AMD CPUs, and AMD and Nvidia GPUs, making the game run almost like if you were running an emulator.
So havig a console and a PC with equivalent specs, for example Assassins Creed IV would run much better on the console.

As for the SE RAM, it doesnt make much of a difference
Post by: treminaor on February 19, 2014, 05:49:10 pm
Sony and Microsofts's APIs which make games run much better on consoles, while for PC the companies have to make ports that are able to run on Intel and AMD CPUs, and AMD and Nvidia GPUs
This is no longer relevant with the PS4 and Xbox One. They both use PC x86 architecture now.
Post by: daedra descent on February 19, 2014, 09:57:49 pm
I just did a test on Can You RUN it and it says that i should be able to handle Titanfall without any issues but i'm having a hard time believing that.
Post by: GAFerreira13 on February 19, 2014, 11:38:48 pm
well, not on full hd that's for sure.
Post by: daedra descent on February 20, 2014, 12:52:21 am
well, not on full hd that's for sure.

Yeah, now that i think about it, the test was for the minimal requirements for the game to run.