UGX-Mods

Call of Duty 5: World at War => Help Desk => Mapping => Topic started by: TDawg262 on March 31, 2019, 11:54:00 pm

Title: Any good tips for mapping?
Post by: TDawg262 on March 31, 2019, 11:54:00 pm
Hello, so I've been kinda debating on whether or not I should make a zombies map...well, not really make, more of an edit.

I was thinking of taking the original Verruckt map and adding some things into it like some multiplayer weapons and opening the map up a bit, creating new areas to run around in, as well as add the pack a punch.

I don't have much experience with modding or programing, so that's why i came here to ask the community about some tips and also how long it would take to do this map edit.

Any advice would be appreaciated!
Title: Re: Any good tips for mapping?
Post by: cpt_johnson1 on April 02, 2019, 02:31:46 pm
Hello, so I've been kinda debating on whether or not I should make a zombies map...well, not really make, more of an edit.

I was thinking of taking the original Verruckt map and adding some things into it like some multiplayer weapons and opening the map up a bit, creating new areas to run around in, as well as add the pack a punch.

I don't have much experience with modding or programing, so that's why i came here to ask the community about some tips and also how long it would take to do this map edit.

Any advice would be appreaciated!
The only thing you could do with the original Verruckt is add weapons and pap through script. You couldn't add more areas unless you remake the map yourself, because the .map files are not available. Don't let this discourage you from mapping though. If you spend some time making simple maps and getting comfortable with radiant, you will develop a lot of mapping skills and you might be able to remake Verruckt and add more areas. 

Here's some advice when you decide to make maps: take your time. Good maps take a lot of time to make, and rushing them is not a good idea. I hope this helped :)  
Post by: ihmiskeho on April 02, 2019, 05:31:27 pm
The only thing you could do with the original Verruckt is add weapons and pap through script. You couldn't add more areas unless you remake the map yourself, because the .map files are not available. Don't let this discourage you from mapping though. If you spend some time making simple maps and getting comfortable with radiant, you will develop a lot of mapping skills and you might be able to remake Verruckt and add more areas.

Here's some advice when you decide to make maps: take your time. Good maps take a lot of time to make, and rushing them is not a good idea. I hope this helped :) 
 Verrückt mapfile came with the mod tools so techically you could create your own version of it. It's not a 1-1 zombie version of verrückt but the basic layout is there.

Other than that I agree with you. Best is to take your time and learn as you do. If you need help, there are some tutorials on Youtube ranging from simple geometry to advanced map editing. Another good tip is to find reference pictures. Find some images from Google or go in game and explore.

As for how long making a map takes, my WaW maps took about 4-6 months on and off (I've made 3 maps). This time included mapping as well as scripting and weapon porting. The current one I'm working on has taken close to 2 years (hopefully that doesn't scare you away, lol). If you plan on using an existing mapfile as a base, you can get things done quicker. The longer you work on a map the better it will be.
Post by: cpt_johnson1 on April 02, 2019, 05:42:55 pm
Verrückt mapfile came with the mod tools so techically you could create your own version of it. It's not a 1-1 zombie version of verrückt but the basic layout is there.

Other than that I agree with you. Best is to take your time and learn as you do. If you need help, there are some tutorials on Youtube ranging from simple geometry to advanced map editing. Another good tip is to find reference pictures. Find some images from Google or go in game and explore.

As for how long making a map takes, my WaW maps took about 4-6 months on and off (I've made 3 maps). This time included mapping as well as scripting and weapon porting. The current one I'm working on has taken close to 2 years (hopefully that doesn't scare you away, lol). If you plan on using an existing mapfile as a base, you can get things done quicker. The longer you work on a map the better it will be.
What do you mean the Verruckt mapfile came with the modtools? I don't have it. 

And yes, making a zombies map should take at least a couple months. My map "Reichskanzlei" took 6 months because I remodeled the map many times, mostly because I didn't really plan it. 

It took me 2 months to make this small map here. (I will release it soon) 
(https://i.imgur.com/qtMGcRs.jpg) 
Post by: ihmiskeho on April 02, 2019, 06:14:03 pm
What do you mean the Verruckt mapfile came with the modtools? I don't have it.

And yes, making a zombies map should take at least a couple months. My map "Reichskanzlei" took 6 months because I remodeled the map many times, mostly because I didn't really plan it.

It took me 2 months to make this small map here. (I will release it soon)
(https://i.imgur.com/qtMGcRs.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/XO0LcAZ.jpg)
They didn't really advertise it properly, but it can be found in _prefabs/domestic/misc/asylum_mp_jam.

Seems to be more like the multiplayer map Asylum but both use the same base.
Post by: cpt_johnson1 on April 02, 2019, 06:23:46 pm
(https://i.imgur.com/XO0LcAZ.jpg)
They didn't really advertise it properly, but it can be found in _prefabs/domestic/misc/asylum_mp_jam.

Seems to be more like the multiplayer map Asylum but both use the same base.
Oh that's cool. Must be a very early version of the map.

To OP: I guess this could be a great way to start. You'll just need to replace some of the missing textures.  
Post by: klevi on April 02, 2019, 10:10:47 pm
If you are  a beginner you will need this too  --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep7FRahubBo&list=PLwlA8xZdjWAg0o9EGpticKPRm8LYZ6yk2 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep7FRahubBo&list=PLwlA8xZdjWAg0o9EGpticKPRm8LYZ6yk2)anyway just for that Verruckt map, it is a .map file there on map source mp if im not wrong, it's a multiplayer map, you can copy all what you need and paste it in a blank map. Then add by yourself the other stuff that is left!!!!
Post by: TDawg262 on April 03, 2019, 01:16:41 am
Hey guys, thanks for the replies and being civil about it! :)

Yeah, all I wanted to do was take the original map, and open it up and put some new areas in it. I've done some exploring with no clip and i've seen some areas that i want to make part of the map. For starters, i was thinking of maybe making the middle of the map, with the fountain, a place to run around in. Their are other parts that looked interesting, but i don't really know how to explain were they are located lol.

I was also thinking of adding in some multiplayer weapons (is there a weapon limit?) as well as of course the pack a punch...

One more thing, how would i go about adding weapons in from black ops 2 and 1?( Only old style weapons from black ops 2 like the m1927 and remington new model army, things like that) I would love to combine those weapons with the waw weapons and have a bigger selection for the box as well as wall weapons.

Look, I know this is a long shot, but i just have a really good idea for verruckt that would make it really cool, and i've seen a lot of cool custom zombie recreations of my favorite maps like kino and MOTD, and it is really making me consider on making my own recreation...

As for modding and things like that, I don't have much experience, only a little bit like editing game files to add in certain items (I did this with dead rising 2) I know it doesn't sound like much...