UGX-Mods

Everything Else => Computer Tech => Topic started by: daedra descent on December 17, 2013, 11:03:22 pm

Title: Steam OS - your thoughts?
Post by: daedra descent on December 17, 2013, 11:03:22 pm
With the release of Valve's new Debian (linux) based OS named "Steam OS", and the "steam box", i thought it would be cool to see what everyone here on UGX thinks about it. In case anyone doesn't even know what the steam OS even is, I've linked some YouTube channels who where lucky enough to get a copy of one of their "steam machines" at the bottom of the topic that you can check out.

Personally I'm having a lot of mixed feelings about the Steam OS. The idea of valve having its own Linux based OS is all nice and all, but its utterly pointless if third-party developers/publishers don't really develop for it. and as things stand, I haven't heard of any developers/publishers saying that their going to port any of their games to Linux, so if they don't do that real soon, the Steam OS is going to be dead before it even launches.

Now for the Steam OS itself, well I'm not really sure what went through valve's head when they released their 'beta" version because it seams to be more of an "alpha" than a "beta". As i understand it, intel and ATi graphics cards are not supported, much of the software needed to get this OS off the ground so it has a chance at making it isn't included, and dual-booting isn't currently supported, which in my mind is going to kill the OS before it really gets a chance.

Now another thing is the "steam machine". Basically it's just your average computer fit into a tiny box with an Invidia "titan" graphics card (i think?) and thats all good and swell, but but problem is is that Valve isn't going to be making the "steam machine" other people are, and with different specifications and prices. My problem with this is that if you buy a steam machine with lower specifications, some games may run poorly on the system, where as in a console, all the hardware is the same and there is little to no difference.

What do you guys think?

LINKS
https://www.youtube.com/user/droobie21/videos (https://www.youtube.com/user/droobie21/videos)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYMaGOwEa6iXitKgGvSPKVQ (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYMaGOwEa6iXitKgGvSPKVQ)
Title: Re: Steam OS - your thoughts?
Post by: Delta on December 18, 2013, 03:38:48 pm
Well, I personally think that SteamOS is the best what could happend to me as a gamer, as a developer, as a home office guy and someone who get tired of Microsoft usless additions and no fixes to known issues and of course as a linux fan. ( I use debian since 4 years on my local server and since ~3 years on my dedicated remote servers, actually this page is running on a debian 7 server ;) )

With steam OS, there might be a reason for bigger devs to maintain their game on linux aswell.
Over the last two years we saw a trend. More games make it to linux / Mac Os.
Steam has it's own category for this. More and more games got a linux / Mac Os update aswell.

Now with steam os, a bridge between: hardware -- game developer -- game seller -- linux was made.
And this could lead to something big.

Some devs already see potentional in this and ported their games for steam os. ( Metro, Total War, ... )

Current benchmakrs show that windows has a slight advantege but steam os isn't done at all.
As you said, dual boot and the lack of support is a killer. But keep in mind that this isn't final at all and obviously valve will work with the companies to make something happen.

I think valve is pushing it faster forward now. They have the know how and contacts to many companies.

With steam os, we could have a faster and safer gaming experience. An os made for gaming.
Hopefully no Os cost at all. - No need to buy a os anymore.
No stupid performance popups which annoy you and throw you out of the game. ( well done MS )

I mainly use windows because I want to play. Of couse there are also some tools which I use which only works for windows, but if games are working on linux ( and run better ) than I could live with finding an alternative or try to get it running on linux aswell ( keyword wine )

( god I could write so much more, I try to keep it short now :D )

I'm excited about what will happen in the next few years. I belive linux gaming will get a higher role.

About your concers about steam machines:

Retailers need a license to build the steam machines.  ( so they keep control of it )
But I hope it doesn't end like android, where every company is adding it's own additions to steam os and it's a clusterfuck then.

I agree a bit about your concerns with the different "tiers" of hardware.
Idk what their plan on this is.
But it's a good bridge between a console and a pc. - An upgradeable console technically.