UGX-Mods

Everything Else => General Discussion => Topic started by: FreeCodCinematics on June 25, 2012, 07:04:36 pm

Title: How To Make A Map With Someone?..
Post by: FreeCodCinematics on June 25, 2012, 07:04:36 pm
Hey guys,

Not sure if this should be in the help section, but doesn't really fit in to the map/scripts/mod i don't think.. Anyway..

If i wanted to make a map with someone, how do i come across doing it? ( I've finally got my mate to get rid of his console an come on the pc side)..

What files would i need to send to him in order to both work on it?

Many thanks

Dan
Title: Re: How To Making A Map With Someone?..
Post by: W1NG3D on June 26, 2012, 04:08:23 am
That depends on if you need him to be able to compile the map or not; if you want your friend to just work on the map and not need to test it in-game, all he will need is the .map file, any custom prefabs you're using, and also custom textures or models too, this will allow him to open the map in Radiant.

However if you want him to have a full copy of all the source so he can compile, make changes to the code and such, he'll also need all the associated .GSC, .CSV and .CSC files. Typically I would only have one person with the entire source for the map and then others would just work on the geometry itself, or individual components of the scripts - this helps to avoid the confusion of having different versions of stuff all the time.

You may also want to collaborate using Dropbox, it's what we do and the .map files for UGX projects are all downloaded to our members' PCs automatically so it's always up to date and we can all work on stuff without having to worry about sending it to eachother by other means. :)
Post by: zNiiC on June 26, 2012, 04:14:50 am
You can also use SVN. If you commit a change, the other person just has to update changes and will have all of the new changes.
Post by: FreeCodCinematics on June 26, 2012, 01:17:56 pm
Cheer's guys, that's been a real big help :)

Much appreciated
Post by: treminaor on June 27, 2012, 02:29:06 am
You can also use SVN. If you commit a change, the other person just has to update changes and will have all of the new changes.
We gave SVN a try and it's a pain to get other people on board with it who aren't really computer savvy. We settled on Dropbox.