UGX-Mods

Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 => Help Desk => Modding => Topic started by: tdhadvocate on January 03, 2017, 08:54:21 pm

Title: Extracting Textures from GameCube Game
Post by: tdhadvocate on January 03, 2017, 08:54:21 pm
I am working on remaking old multiplayer maps from a certain game on the GameCube. I was wondering if anyone knows how to port textures from older games that may be able to help me. Now this game is also available on PS2 and the original Xbox so if that makes things easier let me know. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated as this was a game I played over and over again as a kid and am trying to port those maps up to the modern day.
Title: Re: Extracting Textures from GameCube Game
Post by: MegaMech43 on January 03, 2017, 09:40:55 pm
The original xbox is interesting. It's almost impossible to emulate due to how it was made and security features. I doubt you'll be able to do anything with it.

If you download a rom of your game you may be able to find tools to edit the rom, or extract textures from memory or something. Converting the entire map file to black ops 3 is probably a no go.
This kinda thing could get as complex as editing bytecode or assembly. If it was Super Mario 64 or Super Mario World for example. There are map editting tools, and texture/model extracting tools that you could make use of. If it's Halo 1 it's probably easy, if it's Halo 2 it could be impossible.

What will help you the most, is looking for these tools on the web for that game, or that console yourself. If anyone on these forums have experience doing what you're asking, they will only be able to help you if you provide more context and detail. Which game? If it's for the gamecube it might even be better to just copy the textures as best you can in microsoft paint.

Also I think the modding category is where this thread belongs.
Post by: tdhadvocate on January 04, 2017, 02:21:49 pm
If you download a rom of your game you may be able to find tools to edit the rom, or extract textures from memory or something. Converting the entire map file to black ops 3 is probably a no go.
This kinda thing could get as complex as editing bytecode or assembly. If it was Super Mario 64 or Super Mario World for example. There are map editting tools, and texture/model extracting tools that you could make use of.

I was trying to find ones specifically for the game but I don't think the game was all that popular. Perhaps there are some more generic tools that will at least help my open the Rom enough to get into the files and try to find the textures. I was more trying to keep the game name quiet to avoid people stealing the ideas as I am very sentimental about the game and would like to be one of the first few people to remake these maps. But it is a multiplatform game that I personally had for the GameCube. I was thinking about honestly just trying to stream the game to my PC in some way (I don't have a capture card for the system anymore) and then literally just ripping them into PhotoShop to then clean up as much as I could. I may just give up on trying to get the original textures and just try to get the closest textures I can within the mod tools. But thanks for all of the information. I just figured this was the best place to put it since it was textures stuff but I wasn't really sure if it fit any of the sub-sections.
Post by: IDontEvenKnow on January 09, 2017, 08:26:33 am
https://www.textures-resource.com/gamecube/ (https://www.textures-resource.com/gamecube/)

Have fun.
Post by: tdhadvocate on May 28, 2017, 04:57:59 pm
https://www.textures-resource.com/gamecube/ (https://www.textures-resource.com/gamecube/)

Have fun.

This is awesome. Sadly it does not have the game I was looking for but it is still pretty awesome. Will have to look at what all they have. Thanks so much for the link!