UGX-Mods

Everything Else => Computer Tech => Topic started by: IperBreach86 on June 14, 2016, 03:27:30 pm

Title: Thinking about upgrading my GPU any tips?
Post by: IperBreach86 on June 14, 2016, 03:27:30 pm
So, hi there :D
Recently ive had the idea to upgrade my Gpu in order to be able to handle current games better, but also to be able to handle upcoming games like TitanFall2 or Battlefield1 (Just two random games).
At the moment i am using a Sapphire Radeon R9 380 2GB of Vram
(Amazon Link for reference)
This Gpu has been doing a great job and still does (can run BO3 with High settings at 100+FPS)
I am looking around to find a decent one and will ask if what i find is good, but i would apreciate if someone actually helped me :D
I would prefer to not spend above 200(aprox), and i belive that one with 4gb of VRAM will last for a long time? (if not please tell me)
Thanks in advance for everyone that helps me with this!
Title: Re: Thinking about upgrading my GPU any tips?
Post by: HitmanVere on June 14, 2016, 03:33:06 pm
Moved to Computer Tech-section
Post by: IperBreach86 on June 14, 2016, 03:51:30 pm
Moved to Computer Tech-section
Thank you, sorry for wrong section, i dunno why I misplaced it.
Post by: Koan on June 14, 2016, 04:34:05 pm
You're seriously gonna struggle to upgrade from an R9 380 for <200 EUR. To be honest, getting a GTX 970 would probably be a bad move at this point with the new GTX 1070/1080, so you're looking a spending ~350 EUR or more for a worthwhile upgrade.
Post by: daedra descent on June 14, 2016, 05:23:02 pm
Don't buy anything until AMD releases their RX 480 or Nvidia's GTX 1060. The new generation of GPUs are going to destroy everything currently available in terms of both price and performance.

I *really* wouldn't recommend getting a GPU with 4GB of VRAM at this point. Older games will be fine, but newer ones could use more than 4GB as developers push higher textures, shaders, etc. Last time I checked, Black Ops 3 doesn't even let you max all of its settings out unless you have more than 4GB.
Post by: smasher248 on June 14, 2016, 05:32:17 pm
definatly get the 970, much better gpu, for a slight price increase
Post by: Koan on June 14, 2016, 05:42:43 pm
Last time I checked, Black Ops 3 doesn't even let you max all of its settings out unless you have more than 4GB.

I have a 750 Ti which is 2GB (iirc, you have that too), I can max out BO3 1080p but it only plays at 30-ish fps. Medium-high is usually a solid 60-70. So a 4GB card would be fine for him, as long as he doesn't want to push everything to Ultra settings.
Post by: daedra descent on June 14, 2016, 05:55:52 pm
I have a 750 Ti which is 2GB (iirc, you have that too)

GTX 960 4GB now. The regret is real.

I can max out BO3 1080p but it only plays at 30-ish fps. Medium-high is usually a solid 60-70. So a 4GB card would be fine for him, as long as he doesn't want to push everything to Ultra settings.

Being able to play games on high/ultra graphics settings is kind of the point in PC gaming. If all you really care about it playable framerates you might as well buy the PS4 version. Atleast then you won't have to deal with crappy ports, lol.
Post by: Koan on June 14, 2016, 06:07:28 pm
Being able to play games on high/ultra graphics settings is kind of the point in PC gaming. If all you really care about it playable framerates you might as well buy the PS4 version. Atleast then you won't have to deal with crappy ports, lol.

Might be for some, but I play PC because:

Of course graphics are important but I don't think they're the sole reason to choose PC over consoles at all.

I do agree about the AMD cards though, OP should wait until they are available.
Post by: IperBreach86 on June 14, 2016, 07:40:42 pm
Will wait then ;) Thanks to everyone!