UGX-Mods

Call of Duty 5: World at War => Custom Maps, Mods & Tools => Map Releases => Topic started by: A-Grand on September 11, 2013, 06:27:08 am

Title: [Manager] A-Grand's Devastation
Post by: A-Grand on September 11, 2013, 06:27:08 am
This map can be downloaded from the UGX Map Manager.

This map features UGX Mod v1.0.3! For a full list of features, click here.

Hi everyone!

I'm happy to share with you a new zombie map. An idea from the map reviewer and zombie slayer (Tomikaze). He drew the layout of the map, highlighted where everything should be and how it should look like. All I did was make the map based on the layouts  ;)

Features:
-UGX MOD
-A 20k buyable ending
-Kino Style teleporter

Mission:
You're flying a plane, you suddenly got attacked and your plane is destroyed, you find yourself in an abandoned city possessed by zombies. Can you survive your way through to get to the middle tower, it's the only way to escape.

PICS:

(http://i41.tinypic.com/2it5vu8.jpg)
(http://i39.tinypic.com/10hspqc.jpg)
(http://i44.tinypic.com/2wp2c5f.jpg)
(http://i41.tinypic.com/23lz7n6.jpg)

Even if it's a zombie survival mode, the map feels like a single player in my opinion :)

I hope you enjoy!

Credits:
Tomikaze for drawing the map layout.
UGX team for sharing such an awesome mod.
Tom_BMX for tools, tuts and (buyable ending script).
Treminaor for detailed tutorial videos.
Title: Re: A-Grand's Devastation
Post by: Dust on September 11, 2013, 06:36:01 am
wow is this your first map with a buyable ending? awesome! definitely will try it out
Post by: 90Dboy on September 11, 2013, 06:39:29 am
wow is this your first map with a buyable ending?
Moon had one for 40k (or technically 70k).
Post by: treminaor on September 11, 2013, 07:17:41 am
Will be on the Manager shortly :)

Edit: Added to Manager and homepage slideshow. Download link removed.

This map can be downloaded from the UGX Map Manager.
Post by: lioganda on September 11, 2013, 12:56:19 pm
Keep getting error with the map manager about the sever being down. Is there anyway for you to put a file up to download without the map manager? :P
Post by: A-Grand on September 11, 2013, 01:07:25 pm
Thanks everyone especially Treminaor :)

I'm glad to see the map in the manager :D
Post by: tomikaze on September 11, 2013, 01:18:30 pm
I'm glad to see the map in the manager :D

How many maps do you have in the manager? Are you on payroll yet?  :D
Post by: A-Grand on September 11, 2013, 03:07:55 pm
How many maps do you have in the manager? Are you on payroll yet?  :D

4 maps including this one  :troll:

UGX FTW!
Post by: treminaor on September 11, 2013, 04:39:41 pm
Keep getting error with the map manager about the sever being down.
It works fine, check your firewall and give the Manager access to the internet. http://i.imgur.com/rWVZeLe.png (http://i.imgur.com/rWVZeLe.png)
Title: Re: A-Grand\'s Devastation
Post by: tanglong on September 12, 2013, 01:29:39 am

Post Merge: September 12, 2013, 01:36:33 am
:'(
Post by: treminaor on September 12, 2013, 01:55:03 am

Post Merge: September 12, 2013, 01:36:33 am
:'(
Check your firewall settings. The server is not down.
Post by: IHammY/ on September 12, 2013, 12:45:20 pm

well ive been getting these errors too tho... it either sais server is down or updating and stuff like that and after restarting it a view times it works :I just saying because its deffinately not the firewall
Title: Re: A-Grand\\\'s Devastation
Post by: DeathBringerZen on September 12, 2013, 12:50:47 pm

This is the same issue I was getting a few days ago, when I posted it in the UGX Manager section.

It is still happening to me too. Must be something wrong mate.

Post Merge: September 12, 2013, 02:25:58 pm
4 maps including this one  :troll:

UGX FTW!

Is there a separate link for this map somewhere? I have not been able to get onto the UGX Map Manager since you released this.

Constantly getting the "Uh oh, something went wrong. Our server data is most likely being updated"

And it has nothing to do with my Firewall settings or my internet in general.

Thanks.
Post by: treminaor on September 12, 2013, 03:33:06 pm
This is the same issue I was getting a few days ago, when I posted it in the UGX Manager section.

It is still happening to me too. Must be something wrong mate.

Post Merge: September 12, 2013, 02:25:58 pm
Is there a separate link for this map somewhere? I have not been able to get onto the UGX Map Manager since you released this.

Constantly getting the "Uh oh, something went wrong. Our server data is most likely being updated"

And it has nothing to do with my Firewall settings or my internet in general.

Thanks.
Have any of you tried deleting your Manager exe and re-downloading it? I'm able to consistently open the Manager over and over again, and download maps just fine.

http://i.imgur.com/dd6baOi.png (http://i.imgur.com/dd6baOi.png)
Post by: A-Grand on September 12, 2013, 03:52:56 pm

The same problem happened to me, but I fixed it by turning off windows defender. You can turn it off from the control panel, download the map then turn it back on. If you use another anti-virus program then it most likely is blocking the map manager.
Post by: DeathBringerZen on September 12, 2013, 05:17:41 pm
The same problem happened to me, but I fixed it by turning off windows defender. You can turn it off from the control panel, download the map then turn it back on. If you use another anti-virus program then it most likely is blocking the map manager.

It is nothing to do with Defender or my AV. I have had it working fine plenty of times, and eventually got it to work today by just persisting with it. I just kept trying and trying and eventually it worked.

Finally got the download, and am about to try it... right now! :D
Post by: treminaor on September 12, 2013, 05:22:03 pm
It is nothing to do with Defender or my AV. I have had it working fine plenty of times, and eventually got it to work today by just persisting with it. I just kept trying and trying and eventually it worked.

Finally got the download, and am about to try it... right now! :D
What kind of download speeds are you getting from our server? Also it's possible you're timing out before the Manager is finished downloading the list of maps.

Open Command Prompt and type
Code Snippet
Plaintext
ping ugx-mods.com
and tell me what it says. I have a 70ms ping from California - server's in Chicago, Illinois (US).
Title: Re: A-Grand\\\\\\\'s Devastation
Post by: DeathBringerZen on September 12, 2013, 05:43:29 pm
What kind of download speeds are you getting from our server? Also it's possible you're timing out before the Manager is finished downloading the list of maps.

Open Command Prompt and type
Code Snippet
Plaintext
ping ugx-mods.com
and tell me what it says. I have a 70ms ping from California - server's in Chicago, Illinois (US).

Well, I just not long finished downloading Devastation, and it was coming down at around 1mb a second. Map took less than 1 minute to download.

My results are as follows...

Pinging UGX-MODS.COM [74.63.72.134] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 74.63.72.134: bytes=32 time=115ms TTL=49
Reply from 74.63.72.134: bytes=32 time=114ms TTL=49
Reply from 74.63.72.134: bytes=32 time=115ms TTL=49
Reply from 74.63.72.134: bytes=32 time=118ms TTL=49

Ping statistics for 74.63.72.134:
      Packets: Sent = 4, Recieved = 4, Lost = 0 <0% loss>,
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
      Minimun = 114ms, Maximum = 118ms, Average = 115ms

Hope this helps. :)

Post Merge: September 12, 2013, 07:58:15 pm
Finally got to play the map, and after one decent run at it, I was left disappointed.

From the offset, the map looks pretty rough, and the areas lack imagination. Every new area looks the same as the last, and it lacked longevity to it. Also has running zombies straight from the start, which is fair enough due to the size of the areas, but is not something I am a fan of myself.

After one game, I doubt I would play it again. Shame.
Post by: treminaor on September 12, 2013, 08:18:54 pm
Well, I just not long finished downloading Devastation, and it was coming down at around 1mb a second. Map took less than 1 minute to download.

Ping statistics for 74.63.72.134:
      Packets: Sent = 4, Recieved = 4, Lost = 0 <0% loss>,
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
      Minimun = 114ms, Maximum = 118ms, Average = 115ms
Looks fine to me - I really have no idea why it happens to certain people. As such, it is an isolated issue and probably related to your specific situation. Hopefully it won't happen with the new Manager. We might end up getting a new server at some point too, which might also solve the problem.

Finally got to play the map, and after one decent run at it, I was left disappointed.

From the offset, the map looks pretty rough, and the areas lack imagination. Every new area looks the same as the last, and it lacked longevity to it. Also has running zombies straight from the start, which is fair enough due to the size of the areas, but is not something I am a fan of myself.

It was my impression that the areas look the same for a reason - to make it difficult to remember where you found the perks and wall weapons, etc. I don't mind runners from the start, really dont know why it's a pet peeve around here. It's a method of increasing difficulty of a map. I would rather get right into the action than waste 10 minutes getting up to the higher rounds. I'm sure having a toggle option would satisfy both groups on this issue.
Post by: tomikaze on September 12, 2013, 08:42:57 pm

If you feel it lacks imagination and don't like the way it looks, then that is my fault not A-Grand's. I wanted it to be very large and it would have taken a LOT longer than I was willing to wait to detail every area to look unique. It is a map that is probably going to live or die based on how much you enjoy the layout and the idea of being able to escape to higher ground and fight zombies in that way. Also, I think with timed gameplay on it will provide a formidable challenge. I felt like being able to activate the planks connecting various buildings would really be cool and that people would enjoy that feature. Sorry it wasn't your thing   :'(
Post by: DeathBringerZen on September 12, 2013, 08:55:37 pm
I should have went into a little more detail in my response.

The map design is not that bad, and the unique features like running to the roof and dropping down when overran, or the planks was a nice touch, but the map looked really bland and very rough.

Also, there was not really anything to do but plod along from one door to another, while being persued by zombie who all run at the same speed, so are ridiculously easy to train, and barely leads to any difficulty.

Map size probably explains why it does not look so good, but I just felt that every door I opened just seemed to lead to an extension of the same room as I was in, as it just looked the same.

Also was not sure what the map was actually supposed to be. Apparently it is a devastated city, but looked nothing like it.

I am a big fan of SOME of A-Grands maps, but this one is not for me unfortunately.  Sorry, because I know it was your design, but I just have to be honest. After posting my initial post, I read your own review over on ZomMods, and feel you do get where I am coming from though. Also, considering A-Grand has brought out several maps before this, I just expected better is all.

Hey... it's not the worst map I have ever played, but it just was not unique or interesting enough to hold interest.

Sorry dude. :(

Post Merge: September 12, 2013, 09:01:36 pm
I don't mind runners from the start, really dont know why it's a pet peeve around here. It's a method of increasing difficulty of a map. I would rather get right into the action than waste 10 minutes getting up to the higher rounds. I'm sure having a toggle option would satisfy both groups on this issue.

Unlike others who find the runners difficult and don't like them for that reason, I personally don't like them because when they all run at the same speed, they are actually easier to train than when some are fast and some are slow.

It is the slower zombies that can get in your way, or mess up your train, adding difficulty into training them neatly in the first place.

When all the zombies run at the same speed, you can have them all lined up in seconds, making the maps that feature them very boring.

Regarding the areas all looking the same... I just though it was a bit of a trait with A-Grand. Take Gateway for example. Every area looks identical to the next, and although that map looks nicer than this, it also get's boring and repetitive rather quickly.

Map Manager seems to be ok just now, so hopefully the issue is resolved. Is there a new Map Manager coming out?
Post by: treminaor on September 12, 2013, 11:32:40 pm
Is there a new Map Manager coming out?
Yes. We will make a detailed announcement when ready, and donors will be first to have access to the new program.
Post by: DeathBringerZen on September 13, 2013, 12:20:26 am
Yes. We will make a detailed announcement when ready, and donors will be first to have access to the new program.

Where do you make donations? I donate to most sites I use, like CoDZ, ZombieModding and other non related zombie sites I am a member of.

Oh, and I would make a donation regardless of preferential treatment as I want to see you guys continue the fine work you do. I heard from someone that you were planning on releasing UGX 1.1 and then calling time on the mod after that, is this true?

I would love to see you guys continue doing this stuff, but I understand there is limitation as to what you could do.

Shame Treyarch/Activision did not release the mod tools for BO1. It would have opened up so many more possibilities.

:(
Post by: treminaor on September 13, 2013, 12:48:21 am
Where do you make donations? I donate to most sites I use, like CoDZ, ZombieModding and other non related zombie sites I am a member of.
There's a box on the homepage for it. Here's a direct link: http://ugx-mods.com/forum/index.php?action=treasury (http://ugx-mods.com/forum/index.php?action=treasury)

Oh, and I would make a donation regardless of preferential treatment as I want to see you guys continue the fine work you do. I heard from someone that you were planning on releasing UGX 1.1 and then calling time on the mod after that, is this true?
We will maintain this site and its community, and we will fix any bugs that are found with the mod. Other than that we do plan to move on to something more interesting, and we will definitely keep this community up to date on our workings outside of WaW.
Post by: A-Grand on September 13, 2013, 04:29:35 am
Me and Tom, we can take critiques, it's no problem. It's actually a chance to improve future ideas in mapping.

Regarding the areas all looking the same... I just though it was a bit of a trait with A-Grand. Take Gateway for example. Every area looks identical to the next, and although that map looks nicer than this, it also get's boring and repetitive rather quickly.

Also, just so you know, Gateway was done in 1 week  ;) and I had no original ideas for it. It was just done as, what you call, a filler. In any case, I am planning to make more maps, and as I can see most people love the UGX mod, so I might just add it in every new map I make :)

Can't wait for UGX mod v1.1!!
Post by: DeathBringerZen on September 13, 2013, 11:30:43 am
Also, just so you know, Gateway was done in 1 week  ;) and I had no original ideas for it. It was just done as, what you call, a filler.

Gateway is actually a really nice map. The design and layout of each area is done very well, and it looks really good too, but the only problem I have with it, is that each area looked very much the same as the next, so as each door was opened, if felt like you were wandering into an extension of the last room, as opposed to a brand new area.

With that being said, I still like that map. This map unfortunately just did not have as much refined detail as Gateway did, and some areas looked very rough and out of place.

Design and layout wise, it was good... and the new features worked well, but I just could not work out what the map setting was supposed to be. It did not look like anything in particular.

I am also completely against all in-game zombies running at the same pace, as it makes the game far too easy in my opinion, but that one may just be me. It is not the case for all maps... just maps with enough open space to maneuver around.

Either way, I am a fan of your other work, and I also respect Tom too, and have found most of his map reviews are exactly in line with how I feel about the same maps.

:)
Post by: pauldys on September 13, 2013, 02:27:36 pm
I would very much like to play with my friends.
But I can not start the map since the coop Kampanie starts.
And the game crashes.
Since I can not change to zombie coop.
I would like an example Pached version just stop with the content that you can change the menu on zombie.

P.s is my favorite map.

Is translated with google.
Post by: mielke44 on September 14, 2013, 09:01:44 am
hum for those who cannot use the manager, I had the same issue with the downed server message... the things you can do are:
1-turn off you firewall and check if thats the problem.
2-redownload the manager.
3-turn off you antivirus and check if thats the problem.
If the firewall or the antivirus are the problem you should make and esception on them to the program or might just let them off...
P.S. to me turning off my firewall worked... (I turn on and off every time i download a map...)
Post by: treminaor on September 14, 2013, 09:10:58 am
hum for those who cannot use the manager, I had the same issue with the downed server message... the things you can do are:
1-turn off you firewall and check if thats the problem.
2-redownload the manager.
3-turn off you antivirus and check if thats the problem.
If the firewall or the antivirus are the problem you should make and esception on them to the program or might just let them off...
P.S. to me turning off my firewall worked... (I turn on and off every time i download a map...)
Thanks for the tips, I'm sure people will find this helpful :)
Post by: timelordalex on September 14, 2013, 11:49:57 pm
just played and did not expect runners from the start, sigh, this map not for me then
Post by: lonelygmc on September 15, 2013, 06:49:27 pm
I have made it to what I believe is the sixth switch, but when i go up to it to activate it, there is no "press f to buy door". I have opened all of the houses and presumably activated the other five switches. It seems to be broken. I found it in the house near the power that has a switch in it.

EDIT: Here is where the switch is.

http://imgur.com/a/Fny1D (http://imgur.com/a/Fny1D)
Post by: SajeOne on September 15, 2013, 06:52:15 pm
NGT managed to do it, I would reference their playthrough.
Custom Zombies - Devastation: Runners From the Start? No Problem! (Part 1) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgVc4dSvOQo#)
Post by: lonelygmc on September 15, 2013, 06:56:29 pm
NGT managed to do it, I would reference their playthrough.
Custom Zombies - Devastation: Runners From the Start? No Problem! (Part 1) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgVc4dSvOQo#)
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.
Post by: tazhook on September 16, 2013, 03:48:45 pm
are you going to do a version with more perks, fav map ever <3 <3
Post by: SajeOne on September 16, 2013, 03:53:34 pm
are you going to do a version with more perks, fav map ever <3 <3
Well the map is running UGX-MOD v1.0 which means he would need to know how the scripting language works to make them compatible with the mod. When v1.1 of the mod comes out black ops and custom perks will already be coded in making custom perks 10 times easier, so expect many more when its released.
Post by: CaChHoDP on October 02, 2013, 10:03:09 am
I have to report a bug  :-[ It's an out of map glitch! Sadly I'm german, so you wont understand anything, but i hope you get it fixed within the next update :) Thx a lot :)
Here is the Link http://youtu.be/LMmjSUgbXkg?t=4m23s (http://youtu.be/LMmjSUgbXkg?t=4m23s)

- CaChHo

Edit: Skip to 4:23 pls :)
Title: Re: [Manager] A-Grand's Devastation
Post by: A-Grand on October 06, 2013, 12:29:44 pm
I have to report a bug  :-[ It's an out of map glitch! Sadly I'm german, so you wont understand anything, but i hope you get it fixed within the next update :) Thx a lot :)
Here is the Link http://youtu.be/LMmjSUgbXkg?t=4m23s (http://youtu.be/LMmjSUgbXkg?t=4m23s)

- CaChHo

Edit: Skip to 4:23 pls :)
I might fix that when UGX v1.1 is out OR when I finish the map I am making now. I am sure this map could use more details, perks and weapons.
Post by: timay123 on December 20, 2013, 01:56:47 am
awesome map. it could be better with stamina up because you need to do a lot of running.
Post by: KeepACrawler on July 12, 2014, 07:52:01 pm
(http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/586908645971087251/3AD10AD95CEF555C6F1361D5B7945130D5CB4D65/)

I had some fun with this map. I know this is an old topic but Itd be nice if you {A-Grand} would do an update and re-lease it! Maybe with new mod?? Add an E.Egg or something to do while running a 10k marathon looking for switches?? Just my .02$
And if you have and I didnt see it, excuse my ignorance! lol
Post by: A-Grand on July 18, 2014, 06:45:02 am
(http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/586908645971087251/3AD10AD95CEF555C6F1361D5B7945130D5CB4D65/)

I had some fun with this map. I know this is an old topic but Itd be nice if you {A-Grand} would do an update and re-lease it! Maybe with new mod?? Add an E.Egg or something to do while running a 10k marathon looking for switches?? Just my .02$
And if you have and I didnt see it, excuse my ignorance! lol

Thanks for playing. And I agree this map needs updates, and I do have ideas to make it more interesting. Problem is though, I find people wanting eastereggs and secrets that require scripting skills and I am noob in scripting, lol.
Post by: JiffyNoodles on July 18, 2014, 08:59:40 am
have you got any other maps in the works currently or have been released recently A-Grand because your maps are just amazing mate.
Post by: A-Grand on July 18, 2014, 04:38:48 pm
have you got any other maps in the works currently or have been released recently A-Grand because your maps are just amazing mate.

Thanks! My latest release is Thorvik, you can see it in the main page in the slide view. You should check the releases section in the forum. There are lots of great maps too.
Post by: InFInIX on July 18, 2014, 07:22:38 pm
Devastation :)
9th Best map i ever played!
i agree with everyone who says it needs more stuff
like an Easter Egg and more perks!