UGX-Mods

Call of Duty 5: World at War => Help Desk => Modding => Topic started by: _EchoZ on April 09, 2016, 09:59:22 pm

Title: Can i use a call of duty mw2 map as a template for my map in the script placer?
Post by: _EchoZ on April 09, 2016, 09:59:22 pm
i was trying to make a remake of rust from modern warfare 2. in the  ugx script placer i chose the map source custom and my friend sent me the map files of the mw2 map. then i changed the .ff file into a .map file so it can work. then when i launched the radiant every thing worked except there was no map template please help  :D       
Title: Re: Can i use a call of duty mw2 map as a template for my map in the script placer?
Post by: madsniper124 on April 09, 2016, 10:41:42 pm
i was trying to make a remake of rust from modern warfare 2. in the  ugx script placer i chose the map source custom and my friend sent me the map files of the mw2 map. then i changed the .ff file into a .map file so it can work. then when i launched the radiant every thing worked except there was no map template please help  :D     

You weren't supposed to turn that .ff file into a .map file. That's like turning a .txt file into an .mp4 file and expecting it to work.
Title: Re: Can i use a call of duty mw2 map as a template for my map in the script placer?
Post by: _EchoZ on April 09, 2016, 11:23:07 pm
You weren't supposed to turn that .ff file into a .map file. That's like turning a .txt file into an .mp4 file and expecting it to work.
thanks but i tried to put that map while it was still a .ff file in the map source custom option in the script placer and it would show up
Post by: Harry Bo21 on April 10, 2016, 12:19:09 am
thanks but i tried to put that map while it was still a .ff file in the map source custom option in the script placer and it would show up
because it's not a map file - you can't just change it and suddenly it'll be one

We have no way to get the source maps - the remakes you see like oil rig were completely remade - not ported
Post by: _EchoZ on April 10, 2016, 01:04:39 am
thank you both for clearing this up for me i guess ill have to make the map the hard way
Post by: FinalKill9175 on April 15, 2016, 05:12:35 pm
thank you both for clearing this up for me i guess ill have to make the map the hard way
If your new to mapping (which seems like it) i would consider starting with something more simple then building your way up to a complex map like rust. If i were to see a rust map, I think there should be mw2 weapons and what not. But good luck anyways.
Post by: BluntStuffy on April 15, 2016, 05:37:10 pm
Sparky made an ent-dumper that works with pretty much all ents in a map. It wont decompile geometry ( brushes / terrain patches ). So you end up with a map-file that has all path-nodes, models, script-origins etc etc that could help you get the layout / scale of the map as close to the Original as possible. You'd still have to remap pretty much everything though, it's just a guideline ( not sure if it works for mw2 as well btw )

this is the topic:
https://ugx-mods.com/forum/index.php/topic,3061.msg30970.html#msg30970 (https://ugx-mods.com/forum/index.php/topic,3061.msg30970.html#msg30970)