UGX-Mods

Call of Duty 5: World at War => General => Content Reviews => Topic started by: NeutronStars on February 08, 2016, 12:00:19 am

Title: [29/40] Battlestar Galactica v1.2 – A retro labyrinth of doors and the undead.
Post by: NeutronStars on February 08, 2016, 12:00:19 am
So I’ve played this map about 10 times now. I haven’t encountered many bugs surprisingly, I usually come across them pretty often during my map-playing or whatever you want to call it. It’s a very well made map, like really. It’s got custom textures, it’s got imported guns, it’s got the whole nine-yards. Except there aren’t actually nine yards. I am especially impressed by the hangar area (starting room.) which has a big line of spaceships and they all look very well made, I’d imagine the map creator would have had to make the models himself to really fit into the feel of this map and not seem out of place.

(https://www.ugx-mods.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2Fg2wgb98.png&hash=59b4243d8b1d0bf776e0a3586847d3f6547217ab)

Another aspect of this map that is pretty interesting is the armory. The armory isn’t simply accessed. It can only be accessed by opening the door to the pack-a-punch, then the room after that which leads down a hallway. The hallway ends with a door and a panel next to it saying something about Authorized Personnel. The door leads to the armory but you have to find the other control panel that releases the lock on the door and opens it.

(https://www.ugx-mods.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2Fcyh6IyY.png&hash=c6ed84e658b8952bcbd1d75ec5487d77519f522a)

This map can be pretty hard I must admit. It’s not as big as I had anticipated it to be just because it was a spaceship and the fact that you spawn in a giant hangar area. The map really does not have a point deficiency like some other maps I have played, so it is pretty easy to get around the map. Alongside that, you can get some good weapons very easily just with the door that leads straight to the mystery box from the first room. Another technical thing about the map is the zombie spawns. These zombie spawns seem to be very spread out across the place. There are only zombie spawns in the first hallway, the hangar, and the pack-a-punch room. That’s it, which makes it very easy to just sit in the armory with all these guns behind you, no lack of points, nothing really a threat. Since the zombies only come from one way and you have infinite amounts of ammo literally on the wall.

The easter egg in this map seems pretty easy and does take away from the re-playability of the map, since once you complete the easter egg; you know where all the spots are to shoot the little drone things. I do think the easter egg is cool though, it reminds me of the fly trap from the classic map “Der Riese” where you had to seek out the 3 items during a game of hide-and-seek. So with that being said, it was pretty fun to go do something fairly similar to that nature.
About the re-playability of this map, it is re-playable but it does get stale after a while as any map would, but it just seems to happen faster with this map since the map in general is not that big, (excluding the hangar) and doesn’t have too much to it.

Overall, this map is very well made and only has some minor issues that really revolve around gameplay and map layout. I’d give this map an A if it were some kind of grading system, but I don’t think it’s ready for an A+, but well done!
Level of Detail – [8/10]
Custom Content – [8/10]
Fun Scale – [7/10]
Replayability – [6/10]
*Overall – [29/40]
Link to Topic - http://ugx-mods.com/forum/index.php/topic,6894.0.html (http://ugx-mods.com/forum/index.php/topic,6894.0.html)         
Title: Re: [34/40] Battlestar Galactica v1.2 – A retro labyrinth of doors and the undead.
Post by: Xperience on February 08, 2016, 12:05:36 am
Man this map looks beautiful. Can't wait to give it a try, thanks for bringing it to my attention!
Title: Re: [34/40] Battlestar Galactica v1.2 – A retro labyrinth of doors and the undead.
Post by: Harry Bo21 on February 08, 2016, 04:06:53 am
i would highly doubt he made the models btw, more likely dumped from some other game.

im confused by this tho?

doesn’t have too much to it.

Custom Content – [8/10]
Fun Scale – [10/10]

???

also the total score should be "32" out of 40 using the figures youve posted?
Post by: Koan on February 08, 2016, 04:09:45 am
8 + 8 + 10 + 6 = 32

:kidding:
Post by: Harry Bo21 on February 08, 2016, 04:10:20 am
you say theres not much in it, then score it almost max points

and using the figures you scored the sections adds up to 32 not 34
Post by: XEcW22 on February 08, 2016, 04:10:23 am
also the total score should be "32" out of 40 using the figures youve posted?
LOL, dat math doe!!
Post by: NeutronStars on February 08, 2016, 04:10:55 am
Oops.. error on my part..
Post by: Koan on February 08, 2016, 04:20:29 am

You still didn't fix it. :facepalm1:

8 + 8 + 7 + 6 = 29.

Not 31.

Please learn to number good.
Title: Re: [31/40] Battlestar Galactica v1.2 – A retro labyrinth of doors and the undead.
Post by: NeutronStars on February 08, 2016, 04:31:46 am
Well sorry, I know it's a silly mistake but that doesn't mean it won't happen.
Title: Re: [29/40] Battlestar Galactica v1.2 – A retro labyrinth of doors and the undead.
Post by: Exofile on February 08, 2016, 07:49:38 am
Well, this score certainly changed. Not as much as Bruce Jenner, obviously.

Spoiler: click to open...
Someone understand the reference pls. :please:
Title: Re: [29/40] Battlestar Galactica v1.2 – A retro labyrinth of doors and the undead.
Post by: steviewonder87 on February 08, 2016, 09:19:26 am
Starting to think these reviews are just meaningless now, wasn't this 34/40 last night (actually 32)? Why has it changed? Because people disagreed and called the reviewer out on it? If only we had some form of standardised rating system that was impartial and reflected the true feelings of the community...::)
Post by: Exofile on February 08, 2016, 09:59:06 am
Starting to think these reviews are just meaningless now, wasn't this 34/40 last night (actually 32)? Why has it changed? Because people disagreed and called the reviewer out on it? If only we had some form of standardised rating system that was impartial and reflected the true feelings of the community...::)

Agreed. The review is the Reviewer's point of view on the mod, so when he/she changes it because the community says they disagree, how is that his point of view?  ::)
Post by: HitmanVere on February 08, 2016, 10:23:14 am

He did say that he did a mistake. Not everyone does everything 100% correct on first try
Post by: steviewonder87 on February 08, 2016, 10:32:27 am
He did say that he did a mistake. Not everyone does everything 100% correct on first try

The 'error' in question was him failing to add up his own score correctly which should have given it a total of 32. Where did the extra 3 point deduction come from overnight then? :please:
Post by: HitmanVere on February 08, 2016, 10:34:07 am
The 'error' in question was him failing to add up his own score correctly which should have given it a total of 32. Where did the extra 3 point deduction come from overnight then? :please:

you say theres not much in it, then score it almost max points

Someone said about it, he corrected the overall score on end, so another error
Post by: Exofile on February 08, 2016, 10:34:41 am

I think the major point in this "dispute" has been brought up in another topic, yeah? :please:
Post by: steviewonder87 on February 08, 2016, 10:37:48 am
Why has it changed? Because people disagreed and called the reviewer out on it?

:poker:
Post by: HitmanVere on February 08, 2016, 10:40:20 am
:poker:

They werent disagreeing on his opinions, just pointing out, that he said 2 different things.

Anywhos, back on topic
Post by: NeutronStars on February 08, 2016, 12:32:19 pm

Well they kept bugging me about it so I had to do something, I would have left it what I personally thought.
Post by: Harry Bo21 on February 08, 2016, 12:34:35 pm
Well they kept bugging me about it so I had to do something, I would have left it what I personally thought.
no, we "bugged you" cos you "added it up wrong" - twice

so the final score was "incorrect" - not that it wasnt what "we" would have given it

please re-read our comments
Post by: NeutronStars on February 08, 2016, 12:36:00 pm
no, we "bugged you" cos you "added it up wrong" - twice

so the final score was "incorrect" - not that it wasnt what "we" would have given it

please re-read our comments

I did, sorry.
Post by: Exofile on February 08, 2016, 12:40:52 pm
I did, sorry.

No need to say sorry, accidents happen. Learn from your mistakes, and we can all drop this whole thing. ;)
Post by: NeutronStars on February 08, 2016, 12:43:51 pm
No need to say sorry, accidents happen. Learn from your mistakes, and we can all drop this whole thing. ;)

Thanks.
Post by: tomikaze on February 08, 2016, 04:18:37 pm
Stevie and Exofile, you guys may be the reasons why half of the people who have become Map Reviews have since killed themselves. I remember when I reviewed Prison Mission many moons ago and rated it really high that a small group of you reasonable, kind, understanding souls got in line with a baseball bat and played hit the pinata with my junk. I'm still dealing with the PTSD  ;D
Post by: Harry Bo21 on February 08, 2016, 04:20:00 pm
Stevie and Exofile, you guys may be the reasons why half of the people who have become Map Reviews have since killed themselves. I remember when I reviewed Prison Mission many moons ago and rated it really high that a small group of you reasonable, kind, understanding souls got in line with a baseball bat and played hit the pinata with my junk. I'm still dealing with the PTSD  ;D
lol u have such a way with words lmao  :D
Post by: Exofile on February 08, 2016, 05:37:01 pm

Am I that bad? I'm just expressing my opinions, then when someone calls me out on sharing my opinion, I respond. :please: I try to encourage this community, since when did I comment downright hurtful comments on posts? :please:
Post by: Xperience on February 08, 2016, 08:11:18 pm
Any thoughts to having a review rating just to see if members side with the reviewer? It could be implemented in a way that wouldn't hurt the reviewer but would give them more feedback from members who don't take the time to comment much. Could be a stupid idea, but what do you guys think?
Post by: Scobalula on February 08, 2016, 08:33:50 pm
Any thoughts to having a review rating just to see if members side with the reviewer? It could be implemented in a way that wouldn't hurt the reviewer but would give them more feedback from members who don't take the time to comment much. Could be a stupid idea, but what do you guys think?

Review the Review? :D
Post by: Exofile on February 08, 2016, 09:00:01 pm

It's a clear no from the staff, from what I can tell. They don't want us reviewing the maps here in any form. :please:
Post by: Xperience on February 08, 2016, 09:07:54 pm
It's a clear no from the staff, from what I can tell. They don't want us reviewing the maps here in any form. :please:

Can you rephrase your comment? I'm pretty sure you misread my idea.
Post by: NeutronStars on February 08, 2016, 09:32:46 pm
Okay I get it, I made 2 mathematical mistakes in a row and I look like a complete idiot for doing so. Even still, this is my first map review so give me a break, even if they were dumb mistakes. I don't personally think it was necessary for some of you to have said some of the things you did, but I can't change that. I had given this map what was a 34 in my mind, (Even though mathematically it was supposed to be 32..) and then it was pointed out that I gave a 10/10 on the fun scale which apparently is just such a big crime to do here, so I dropped it 3 points. I'm sorry this happened in the first place, but seriously, just get over it.
Post by: Xperience on February 08, 2016, 09:36:06 pm
Okay I get it, I made 2 mathematical mistakes in a row and I look like a complete idiot for doing so. Even still, this is my first map review so give me a break, even if they were dumb mistakes. I don't personally think it was necessary for some of you to have said some of the things you did, but I can't change that. I had given this map what was a 34 in my mind, (Even though mathematically it was supposed to be 32..) and then it was pointed out that I gave a 10/10 on the fun scale which apparently is just such a big crime to do here, so I dropped it 3 points. I'm sorry this happened in the first place, but seriously, just get over it.

No worries Neutron, I understand the feeling. I just released my first map review as well but hey man just don't make the same mistake twice. Now you know and can learn from it :) I have faith in you as a map reviewer still ;) Just keep doing what you're doing. Map reviewing is something that you can feel free to express your own opinions about. People will comment their opinions on your topic because we're all map reviewers too! Learn from it and make the second review even better!
Post by: NeutronStars on February 08, 2016, 09:38:27 pm
No worries Neutron, I understand the feeling. I just released my first map review as well but hey man just don't make the same mistake twice. Now you know and can learn from it :) I have faith in you as a map reviewer still ;) Just keep doing what you're doing. Map reviewing is something that you can feel free to express your own opinions about. People will comment their opinions on your topic because we're all map reviewers too! Learn from it and make the second review even better!

Thanks. It just kind of bugged me how quickly I was picked on for it.
Post by: XEcW22 on February 08, 2016, 10:01:27 pm
ya man, it's cool. My first map review is just a bunch of people nagging on me saying I should have given this map a 40/40 and now its even locked from all the fighting so....... :-\ Anyways I still think this is a good review for a first :D
Post by: NeutronStars on February 08, 2016, 10:20:11 pm
ya man, it's cool. My first map review is just a bunch of people nagging on me saying I should have given this map a 40/40 and now its even locked from all the fighting so....... :-\ Anyways I still think this is a good review for a first :D

Thanks, I know how that feels now.. heh..
Post by: NeutronStars on February 08, 2016, 10:46:56 pm
Dude I am in the highest level math my college offers right now and I added wrong today. I spent 20 minutes on the problem, went to a tutor, and she missed it. I spent another 10 minutes and raged. My friend caught the mistake in 30 seconds.
Don't worry about it ;)

Thanks, that did help, haha.
Post by: Xperience on February 08, 2016, 11:05:26 pm
Dude I am in the highest level math my college offers right now and I added wrong today. I spent 20 minutes on the problem, went to a tutor, and she missed it. I spent another 10 minutes and raged. My friend caught the mistake in 30 seconds.
Don't worry about it ;)

Ha! I'm guessing Calc 3 or what? Can't wait for the fun to begin! Thanks for sharing this, you have my empathy.  :alone:
Post by: Xperience on February 08, 2016, 11:13:22 pm
Sounds like fun, enjoy and best of luck!
Post by: NINJAMAN829 on February 09, 2016, 01:32:47 am
Saw the trouble. Don't worry about it guys. Everybody makes a few mistakes every now and then and first time mistakes are still perfectly fine. Your first review was better than mine atleast :derp:

Look forward to the next reviews guys. (Need to remember the names. Welcome to the club btw.) ;)
Post by: NeutronStars on February 09, 2016, 01:41:48 am
Saw the trouble. Don't worry about it guys. Everybody makes a few mistakes every now and then and first time mistakes are still perfectly fine. Your first review was better than mine atleast :derp:

Look forward to the next reviews guys. (Need to remember the names. Welcome to the club btw.) ;)

Thanks, glad there are some optimistic people on here at least to not make me feel like I've committed some terrible crime. Lmao
Post by: NINJAMAN829 on February 09, 2016, 01:43:42 am
Thanks, glad there are some optimistic people on here at least to not make me feel like I've committed some terrible crime. Lmao

No problem dude. Don't let them get you down. "Most" of them mean no harm. ( :please: )

Plus I'm naturally optimistic  8)