or login with an authentication provider below
Sign In with Google
Sign In with Twitter
Sign In with Discord
Sign In with Steam
Sign In with Facebook
Sign In with Twitch

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - omgitsbothscarab

Once again, I was bored. I figured that since it's getting closer to winter/Christmas (for most of us, anyway), I might as well upload something that could help add some detail to maps with the contest, or something. Maybe.

Huge thanks to BlackJackJonnyy for his tutorials.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Please don't attempt this if you don't have at least intermediate knowledge of Radiant.

First, you're obviously going to need a snow texture (note: this doesn't have to be snow; you can use whatever texture you want as long as it blends.), which I included in the .zip, as well as a finished example of what this will look like.
Put the snow1.iwi into raw\images and the images folder of your map.
(To find it in Radiant, look under the "ground" textures, or press the big F button on the toolbar and search for it.)

1. Open Radiant, then make a square about the size of the road you want (I made mine 384x).

2. With the square selected, go to Patch > Simple terrain patch, and make a patch with 6 x 6 vertices. After you've done that, press S to open up the surface inspector and press CAP (get in the habit of doing this often).

3. Press V to open up the vertices selection and select these two that I circled:

Then, press ctrl + shift + A to add a column of vertices.

Do it again for the opposite side so it looks like this:

4. Select one of the two innermost vertical rows:

then press ctrl + shift + Q to delete it.

Do it again for the other side.

(5; optional) Highlight the top horizontal row:

then press alt + O to copy it.

Do this for the top and sides until you get the desired height and width you want (make sure to CAP it when you're done).

6. Highlight this column:

then press ctrl + shift + X to split the patch along its seam. Then, do it again for the other side. You should now have three separate patches:

7. Apply the desired road/asphalt texture to the middle patch (I'm using a custom one; I didn't include it in the .zip) and select the Natural texture setting in the surface inspector:

and press space bar to copy it. Apply the snow texture to the copied patch:

then place it directly over the road-textured patch.

8. Hold down ctrl and highlight these columns:

9. Press G to open up the Vertex Color/Alpha Editing menu. Make sure the "Alpha" box is ticked and move the alpha slider until you get the desired transparency (I set mine to 69 for simplicity's sake; somewhere between 0 and 69 is what I recommend, depending on the result you want).

(The yellow is just showing you the two columns you'll want to select, it's not part of Radiant.)

10. You should now have a pretty nice-looking, detailed road!

Feel free to alt + O until you're happy with how long it (the road...) is (but make sure to Natural the road and CAP the snow part. Copying may require a bit of texture manipulation, which I won't explain here).

But, this wouldn't be a tutorial for a bendy road if we didn't bend it, would it? No, it wouldn't be.

11. On to the bending! Press the I key to select everything (this will select everything, so make sure you either have nothing else in your map, or just select this by hand), then press W to weld the patches together. Decide where you want it to start bending, then select the four verts in the middle (make sure ALL of the patches are selected before doing this):

Hold down alt and left click; drag until you get the desired amount of curve. Repeat this for the rest of it.

12. And you're done!

Unless, of course, you want to add more detail, some examples of which are included in the prefab.

Hopefully this at least helped you a little bit. This is my first real Radiant tutorial, so I'm sorry if it wasn't very clear. If you have any problems that don't have incredibly obvious answers, leave a post and I'll try to answer them.

Double Post Merge: October 18, 2014, 09:02:43 pm
Sorry for the length of this, by the way. Wow.
9 years ago
That used to happen to me a lot too. Honestly, the only thing I can tell you is to get a new computer. I know it's kind of extreme, but that's the only way mine stopped doing that. Either that, or play in windowed mode, which I don't like doing, either :(
9 years ago
thanks for sharing will download and play around with it abit :)
:D
9 years ago
I got this error randomly when compiling my map:

Code Snippet
Plaintext
File Handles:
----------------------
27018 files in iwd files
Loading map file C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Call of Duty World at War\map_source\nazi_zombie_xmapp.map
ERROR: in map: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Call of Duty World at War\map_source\nazi_zombie_xmapp.map
ERROR: Entity 297 misc_model at (48 248 -136) no model assigned
Backwards tree volume.
This usually means there are no structural brushes.

I went back to check my map, and all of my clipping, my caulk skybox, light grid, and zones had been deleted. I'm assuming it's due to my random finger-spasms where I press every key on the keyboard, but how can I fix it? :poker:
9 years ago
I got bored.

Can be used for a zombie barricade or something.

The .iwi is a custom blood texture I made that I used in the prefab. Just dump it in your raw\images and the images folder of your mod. I know, it sucks. Feel free to use it however you want, I guess.
10 years ago
Well obviously something happened with the sound aliases (you're welcome for pointing that out)... It's really more of an annoyance than anything, having it spam the compile log. You should be fine, but I would still reinstall them.
10 years ago
DUDE CHROMA THIS IS EXACTLY THE KIND OF ATMOSPHERE I WAS GOING FOR IN MY MAP im so tempted to give up and start something else fuck
But anyway, great map :D I really like how you created such an eerie "omgimscaredtogoaroundthiscorner" ( that most likely is just me though ;) ) type of atmosphere without piling the map with jumpscare over jumpscare :) You really have come a long way, even just since Lorkeep. Good work on the guns, by the way ;)
10 years ago
If you want even better screenshots:
http://prntscr.com/
:0
10 years ago
A scroll texture as in a paper? Or do you mean a texture that literally scrolls?
10 years ago
The win is strong with this thread
10 years ago
Make sure you restored your zone_source folder csv files (specifically dlc3.csv and zombiemode.csv) and make sure you restored your raw/ui folder.
Thanks, will try tomorrow. Great job on the script placer, by the way; very easy to use.
10 years ago
Sigh. I feel like such a bother, with all of the shit you guys are getting, but I gave up on trying to install UGX into my map just because I have no patience for anything. Now when I compiled and loaded my old, completely un-UGX-related map, I get:
'Can't load image: "ugx_menu_template"'
Obviously I'm overlooking something very obvious here. I searched through all of the files and images and found no references to it, though.
10 years ago
Does it give you the annoying hand icon when you walk up to it?
10 years ago
open radiant and press 0
10 years ago
Loading ...