or login with an authentication provider below
Sign In with Google
Sign In with Twitter
Sign In with Discord
Sign In with Steam
Sign In with Facebook
Sign In with Twitch

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Topics - johndoe

Hey everyone,

I'm posting this on behalf of codmoddd1234 as he's not able to post anything on the forums (and I should have posted it about a month ago or two, but I wasn't really able to do it).

The link below contains various Maya scripts that are self explanatory and can easily be used by pasting it into Maya's script editor. Instructions are included in the comments of the scripts. If you have any problems, codmoddd1234 will do his best to help.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/ni2dum932torny3/maya_1234_codwaw.zip

Includedd in the zip archive are:

Maya Ncloth terrain to map exporter
Maya Lattice terrain to map exporter
Maya texture to map exporter
Maya mesh to map exporter
Maya simple map exporter - minimal exporter
Maya ai fullbody rigging script
Maya player fullbody rigging script
Maya stock viewmodel rigging script
Maya UGX viewmodel rigging script

The "Maya nCloth Terrain" script requires the "Maya Ncloth plugin". It may not be enabled by default or is not included with the student version.

The Maya Lattice Terrain script is an alternative for those without access to Ncloth.

Here are some screenshots for demonstration purposes.

5 years ago
Just noticed this while watching the christmas special of regular show.

He even wears fingerless gloves dammit! How come nobody noticed this before?
8 years ago
Let's say you're a really good friend of a famous director, and he says he wants to work on a film/tv show based on a video game of your choice. After your friend buys the rights of the game however, the game will not have any new installments. If you know he'll make the best vg adaptation ever directed, which video game would you choose given the circumstances?
8 years ago
After seeing people complaining about the looks of the ported weapons on custom maps, I realized some custom maps doesn't only have bad looking textures on weapons, but they also have bad looking textures on brushes and etc. You'll need the following stuff to make normal maps, specular maps and cosine power maps for WaW. Since the plugins' readme files explain how to install them, I won't be covering those steps.

- Gimp http://www.gimp.org/
- Normal map plugin for Gimp https://code.google.com/p/gimp-normalmap/

- Generating the normal map

Just open or import the color map on Gimp. Go to Filters -> Map -> Normal Map

You'll see a window that shows options for the normal map it's gonna generate. Click 3D Preview to see how it'll affect the texture in game. Change the shape to sphere on options. You can move the lights too.

You may need to change the filter to adjust the sharpness and invert X and/or Y axises. When you're satisfied with the looks of the 3d preview, press OK and export the generated normal map as a TGA image.

- Generating the cosine power map

If the texture has too many areas that shouldn't reflect ligts, it's best to use the normal map to generate the cosine power maps. You can also use the colour map to generate the cosine power map. To do that you'll just need to do what's written in the parentheses on the second step.

Import the normal map into gimp. Go to Colors -> Colorify, select white and press OK. (you can also do this by converting the image to grayscale, but there's a chance of fucking it up when grayscale is used.)

Go to Colors -> Invert (you may probably not need to invert the colours if you're using the colour map to generate the cosine power map)

Go to Colors -> Brightness & Contrast

You'll need to adjust the brightness and the contrast to make the image darker or lighter depending on how you want the cosine power map to look.

Since what the cosine power maps basically do is to show the engine which parts of the texture will shine, the image below will do a decent job for the texture i'm using.

Note: I know some of you might think it's stupid to use the normal , but based on my experience, generating the cosine power maps using the normal sometimes gives you better results on some textures. For example, if you generate the cosine power map by converting the color map to grayscale and darkening it, it'll make the cracks shiny too; but if you generate them with the normal map, the ares that shouldn't shine like cracks will stay dark.

- Generating the specular map

What specular maps basically do is adjust the intensity of the reflection on a surface. So you'll just need to adjust the brightness and contrast depending on how you want it to shine. The image below is how i made the specular map for the texture I'm using.

After generating each image, you can convert the material using the images you generated. You can see how my example looks in game in the video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRYeCQCG3vg#ws

You can also see how it affects the weapon models below.
Spoiler: click to open...
9 years ago
Hey guys. Couldn't really keep myself from posting it later with more screenshots, so here it is. It's basically a re imagination of the beloved zombie map, Der Riese. It won't be an exact replica of it and it certainly won't have any assets from waw unless it's really necessary. All the models and textures seen in the sceenshots are ported from CSGO, L4D2 and HL2. As for the weapons, here's the list i have in mind. (some still needs animations and stuff. so if you think you have fitting animations for the ones that isn't ported yet, consider asking me if need help with those :D)

Spoiler: click to open...
CS:GO Weapons:
The ones below are ported and ready to use or almost ready

G3SG1 with and without the scope
MP9
MP7
P90
Bizon
CZ75
Five Seven
Desert Eagle
UMP 45
SG 553
AUG
AK-47
SCAR-20
AWP

The ones below are going to be ported with or without custom animations

MAC-10
GALIL-AR
Nova
M4A4
MAG-7
XM1014
SSG-08
Butterfly and/or Karambit knife as a replacement for bowie knife and hell's retreiver

Half-Life 2 Weapons:
Crossbow
Gravity Gun

Screenshots

A lot of things like textures, some buildings, vision, worldspawn settings are subject to change. Even though lots of textures include normal maps and stuff with them, I'm going to remake all of them when the map is near completion. I'll try to update the topic with more screenshots every week so stay tuned :)

Note: If any of you guys wonder when assault is going to be released, let's just say it's soon. I'm just too lazy to fix the issues and complete the scripts and stuff :D
9 years ago
After I installed the latest update of flash, chat started muting my computer after spending some time there. I don't know why it happens but it only does it when I'm on chat and it started happening right after I updated flash. Anyone else having this issue or any ideas on how to fix it?
9 years ago
Just realized one of my custom weapons have this weird issue.

G3 Clip issue

Any ideas?
9 years ago
Hi guys. I've just made a drag and drop app that generates a .bat file that automatically runs the converter for each asset in your gdt file. With no further ado, here's how it's used:

- Drag and drop a .gdt file on gdt2bat.exe
- Copy the .bat file in root/bin/
- Run the .bat file

If you're a Windows 7 users, you'll likely to get the UAC thingy popping upon each conversion. In order to avoid that, you'll need to run command prompt with administrator privileges and run the .bat file like this:

Download link: https://mega.co.nz/#!oxRxkaoT!av6j16mQvuD5wJ8cZt-gaxWEV9q344-VOkm6sNZ01FQ

Any kind of feedback will be appreciated. Hope you won't stumble upon any bugs. But if you do, don't forget to reply!
10 years ago
This is what i get while trying to export a model with Aidan's plugin.

Any ideas?
10 years ago
Like the title says, I get this error whenever I try to compile a map.

One of the model phong materials which is used by a model referenced in the console log, so i tried compiling the map without that model and it compiled without and error. Also, if I keep compiling after that error, the compiling goes without any further errors but the map doesn't load unless I keep the texture quality at lowest and I get this error if I don't.

Any ideas? :(
10 years ago
Like the title says, I don't know if i can make it more clear. I tried changing the surface type of model phong materials and converted them a million times but they don't seem to change in game. Any ideas?
10 years ago
I have released the tool for public use and you can get it from the project's Github page. Watch the tutorial below to learn how to use it.

My new tool, Corvid, is going to be released for everyone in a short time. You can follow the progress from the Github page of the project or even download and test it for yourself if you know your way around Python. I will be releasing a tutorial along with the binaries once everything is ready. Here are some screenshots of the tests I and the testers did.

Assault from Counter-Strike Global Offensive. Courtesy of Numan.

Overpass from Counter-Strike Global Offensive. Courtesy of Geekidos.

Mirage from Counter-Strike Global Offensive. I was too lazy to bake lighting in Radiant since my computer is not good enough for such intense tasks.

Mirage again, but in Cod 4.

However, I'm not deleting the original tutorial because I think it has historical value.

Hidden Text
Hey guys. I've been working on this for a very long time and I think it's high time I share it. Unlike porting GoldSRC Engine (Half-Life, CS 1.6, etc) maps, porting maps from Source Engine maps is a lot harder and requires more skills. I tried to make the hard part as easy as I can so hopefully it'll be an easy job for you guys to port maps from Source Engine maps.

Note: Before starting, I would like to thank the guys at killtube.org for the VMF parser. It saved lots of time for me
http://killtube.org/showthread.php?1003-VMF2Map
Another note: Unfortunately, I still haven't found a way to convert the terrain patches, so they'll be flat brushes when they are converted. Any help will be appreciated about that :P

Requirements
  • A game built on Source Engine
  • The tools listed below
  • Maya with Call of Duty export plugins and the knowledge of how to use them
  • A functional brain
Before you start, you'll need to download the following tools.

BSPSource: http://ata4.info/downloads/apps/bspsource/bspsrc_1.3.14.zip (to decompile bsp files)
Crafty: http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/files/files/crafty102.zip (to decompile models)
VTFEdit: http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/files/files/vtfedit125-11.zip (to convert the textures)
GCFSpace: http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/files/files/gcfscape185.zip (to extract the models and textures)
NVidia DDS Converter: http://originaldll.com/file/nvdxt.exe/39376.html (to convert dds files)
Johndoe's Tools: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4gb27krd63az2oe/tools.rar

- Extracting the materials and models with GCFSpace

In Source Engine, files like textures and models are stored in VPK files pretty much like Call of Duty's IWD files. There are usually two directories in which the VPK files are stored on most of the games (l4d2 is not one of them for example). One of them is always hl2 and the other one is usually the game's name's abbreviation (hl2mp in my case).

You'll need to open VPK files like gamename_pak_dir.vpk, gamename_misc_dir.vpk, gamename_textures_dir.vpk, and extract the folders "materials" and "models" in the same folder.

After you're done extracting the models and materials, you can copy or move the extracted folders in the game's directory (in my case steamdir/steamapps/common/Half-Life 2 Deathmatch/hl2mp/).

- Decompiling the bsp file with BSPSource

Run BSPSrc, click "Add", find the bsp file of the map you want to port and click "Decompile". I'm decompiling dm_steamlab from Half-Life 2 Deathmatch as an example.

- Converting the decompiled VMF file to a MAP file readable by Radiant

Run Johndoe's Tools, go to Source2Cod -> Map Converter, chose the VMF file you want to convert and hit "Convert".

After the app converts a VMF file, it creates three files. The file mapname.map is obviously the converted map file, mapname_textures.json and mapname_models.json have information about models and textures which can be used by Johndoe's Tools to copy the assets later.

- Copying the textures and models

Go to Settings, set your game's directory. Go to Source2Cod -> Texture/Model copier, select mapname_textures/mapname_models.json and hit "Copy".

- Decompiling the models with crafty

Go to the directory "copiedassets/mapname" and copy the directory "models" in gamedir/models/ with a different name (gamedir/models/copiedmodels/ for example).

Run Crafty, go to Setup -> Options -> Exporting and set texture extension to VTF and save it.

Go to Setup -> Options -> Directories and set your Steam directory and username.

Go to Setup -> Profiles and select the game.

Go to View -> Model Browser

If you set your Steam directory and game profile correct, then you'll see the copied models in root/models/[copiedmodels]. Find your copied models folder and expand it, right click every MDL file one by one and click "Export" or just navigate among the models with arrow keys and press Ctrl + E to export the highlighted model.

Make sure you export the models with their respective names in the same folder.

- Exporting the models with Maya

Create a file called resize.mel on your desktop, paste the following code in it and save it.

Code Snippet
Plaintext
scale -r 2.54 2.54 2.54; makeIdentity -apply true -t 1 -r 1 -s 1 -n 0; polyColorPerVertex -r 1 -g 1 -b 1 -a 1 -cdo;
Run maya, open a model, select the whole model, drag and drop the MEL file on it. When exported, models from Source Engine are 2.54 times smaller than they are supposed to be so what we're doing here right here is a quick fix for it. You can safely export the models with their respective names.

- Fixing material names of the models
When you export a model with Crafty, it exports the textures like modelname_material_x. Even if there are models that shares some textures, there will be multiple copies of the same file over and over again which makes the map's size bigger and makes you closer to engine limits. To prevent this, copy the xmodel_export files in "tobefixed/xmodel_export/" and the exported VTF files in "tobefixed/vtf/". Go to Source2Cod -> Material Fixer, hit "Start Fixing". It will copy the fixed xmodel_export and VTF files in "fixedmodels/xmodel_export/" and "fixedmodels/vtf/". When it's done, move the fixed xmodel_export files into "Johndoe's Tools/xmodel_export/".

- Converting the textures with VTFEdit and NVidia DDS Converter
Go to "copiedassets/mapname/textures" and move the vtf files in a new folder, go to "fixedmodel/vtf" and move the vtf files in the same folder. Run VTFEdit, go to Tools -> Convert Folder, set the the folder you just created as the input folder, create another folder and set it as the output folder. Set output type as TGA, convert the textures. Set the output type as PNG and convert them in a different output folder.

Copy nvdxt.exe in the folder where you exported the tga files, create a .bat file and copy following code and paste it into it.
Code Snippet
Plaintext
nvdxt.exe -file *.tga -dxt5 -alpha
Copy the recently created DDS files in the folder "dds" in Johndoe's tools. Copy the PNG files in "dds/thumbnails".
  - Go to GDT Generator -> For Textures/For Models
You can safely save the gdt file for xmodels. However, you'll need to set the properties of every single texture by looking at their preview images. This part is self-explanatory, so I don't think you'll need screenshots for it.
  - Converting the assets for Call of Duty
Copy the GDT files from the folder "gdt" and paste them in "codroot/source_data/", the DDS files in "codroot/raw/images/custom/", xmodel_export files in "codroot/model_export/custom/". If you want to do a quick conversion, you can copy the .bat files in "Johndoe's Tools/gdt/" and paste them into "codroot/bin/". It always works on my computer when I run the .bat files as administrator, but for some reason, it doesn't work on computers of the people who tested it. So you'll need to run cmd.exe as administrator (Press start, type cmd, run as administrator), type the following and press enter.
For Call of Duty World at war Steam version:
Code Snippet
Plaintext
cd "/Program Files (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Call of Duty - World at War/bin/"
For disc version:
Code Snippet
Plaintext
cd "/Program Files (x86)/Activision/Call of duty - World at War/bin/"
For Call of Duty Modern Warfare:
Code Snippet
Plaintext
cd "/Program Files (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare/bin/"
For disc version:
Code Snippet
Plaintext
cd "/Program Files (x86)/Activision/Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare/bin/"
If you have it installed in another directory, you'll need to change it to your game's folder. After that, just type the name of the bat file (you should convert the textures before the models) and it should convert all of the materials one by one. If it doesn't work and gives errors, try converting them manually on asset manager and see the error yourself.

After you've done all of these, you can open the map (exported/mapname.map) on Radiant to see if it worked and start working on it after fixing the texture alignments. Here's a screenshot of the map after the conversion. Note that the textures of the brushes need to be realigned since the way the texture alignment info is stored in both VMF and MAP format are different and I couldn't find a way to convert that yet. Also, the pink boxes are actually infodecals converted to script_structs as I couldn't find a way to make a port them directly. For now you can delete all of them. Hopefully I will find a way to work some day.

Another screenshot of a room from the same map with fixed textures.

Screenshots of other ported maps.
cs_assault from Counter-Strike: Source (modified for the zombie mode)

contact from Insurgency (modified for the zombie mode)

I hope I made everything clear. If you have any troubles with anything with this, feel free to ask.
10 years ago
I just noticed the a spawner on one of the zones gets activated even if the zone of that spawner isn't accessed yet. Here's an example of how i set the zones:

Code Snippet
Plaintext
add_adjacent_zone("start_zone","zone2","enter_zone2");
add_adjacent_zone("start_zone","zone3","enter_zone3");
add_adjacent_zone("zone2","zone3","enter_zone3");
add_adjacent_zone("zone3","zone2","enter_zone2");

Zombies start spawning in zone2 after accessing zone3 from start zone which is pretty weird. I checked the script_flags on the triggers twice, checked the kvps of spawners and there wasn't anything wrong with them. I even deleted the zones and placed them again to make sure i didn't do anything wrong, but it was still the same. I have no idea how to fix it because everything looks pretty fine to me. Any kind of help is appreciated.
10 years ago
Hey guys, been working on this for a week. Can't really say i've done so much since i've been focusing on the map itself. So, here's some screenshots.

Haven't really worked on the features, but i'll keep you guys updated weekly.

July 16 Update

Buildable trap from famous Half-Life 2 level We don't go to Ravenholm
Scripted by Ege115

cs_assault_v2 | Testing buildable trap
10 years ago
Hey guys. Got another problem here. There are some models i'm trying to rescale in order to use them as debris and stuff. Since modelscale doesn't work on script models, i rescaled the models on maya and converted back to waw, but it didn't work and the models still look the same.

to rescale the models i used the following console command on maya:
Code Snippet
Plaintext
scale -r 2.5 2.5 2.5

i think the problem here is the method i used to rescale the models, but since i'm far more than inexperienced in maya i've absolutely no idea what i'm doing.

i hope i made myself clear about this. Thanks in advance.
10 years ago
Loading ...