UGX-Mods Login

or login with an authentication provider below
Sign In with Google
Sign In with Twitter
Sign In with Discord
Sign In with Steam
Sign In with Facebook
Sign In with Twitch

Can I change the location of where mods are installed?

HOTPINNED
broken avatar :(
Created 11 years ago
by JohnnyAmazi
Date Registered: 12 June 2013
Last active: 9 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Fresh Corpse
Primary Group
JohnnyAmazi's Groups
JohnnyAmazi's Contact & Social Links
My SSD C: drive is full and WaW mods are one of the things that are taking up the most space. Is there a way to set a new mod directory on another drive? And I don't want to delete mods either, but if it's the only option I'll have to do that.
Date Registered: 13 June 2013
Last active: 7 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
My Contact & Social Links
More
Signature
FLUXtrance's Groups
I don't know if this is the BEST option, but if all you've done to your WAW root folder is install mods  (basically you aren't a mapper), it may be easiest to just copy/paste your WAW mods folder onto your desktop, delete the WAW root folder, and uninstall the game, then re-install it on a different hard drive, and place the mods back there in that root folder. considering the game is fairly small, it shouldn't take too long :)
Respect
Forum Rank
Fresh Corpse
Primary Group
JohnnyAmazi's Groups
I don't know if this is the BEST option, but if all you've done to your WAW root folder is install mods  (basically you aren't a mapper), it may be easiest to just copy/paste your WAW mods folder onto your desktop, delete the WAW root folder, and uninstall the game, then re-install it on a different hard drive, and place the mods back there in that root folder. considering the game is fairly small, it shouldn't take too long :)

I already have the game installed on a different drive, but the game stores all the mods in C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Activision\CoDWaW\mods
[UGX] Founder
Date Registered: 24 June 2011
Last active: 8 months ago
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
Signature
If Java had true garbage collection, most programs would delete themselves upon execution.
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
UGX Site Moderator Has the ability to issue warnings to users, edit and remove posts from the forum and to move topics to other boards. Upholds the rules of the forum. Moderates Chat Rooms.
I already have the game installed on a different drive, but the game stores all the mods in C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Activision\CoDWaW\mods
There's no way to change it, it's automatic. There is a registry key for your game installation location but the mods folder location cannot be changed unless there was a way to change the location of your entire AppData folder through Windows.
Respect
Forum Rank
Fresh Corpse
Primary Group
JohnnyAmazi's Groups
There's no way to change it, it's automatic. There is a registry key for your game installation location but the mods folder location cannot be changed unless there was a way to change the location of your entire AppData folder through Windows.

Well that sucks. I guess I could just move maps back and forth from a different drive and just keep the maps I'm currently playing on the C: drive...
[UGX] Founder
Date Registered: 24 June 2011
Last active: 8 months ago
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
UGX Site Moderator Has the ability to issue warnings to users, edit and remove posts from the forum and to move topics to other boards. Upholds the rules of the forum. Moderates Chat Rooms.
I'm in the same boat as you with the SSD issue and I think I just thought of a solution. Download a Symbolic Link creator (I've always used Link Shell Extension).

1) Move your CoDWaW mods folder to a different drive.
2) Right click the mods folder on the new drive and choose Pick Link Source
3) Go back to the original mods folder location in AppData and choose Drop As -> Symbolic Link.

That should make the game think the folder is there, even though its actually being redirected to your other drive by the filesystem.
The Voice in your Eyes
Date Registered: 26 June 2013
Last active: 2 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
Community Mapper
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Breton boys do what Breton boys do.
Alerion's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
I also am in such a situation and already thought about something like linking the folders.
But I didn't know that this was actually possible, thank you(:

Edit: yep, it works.
Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 03:03:08 pm by Alerion
Respect
Forum Rank
Fresh Corpse
Primary Group
JohnnyAmazi's Groups
Oh my god, thanks! Saved me some time and maybe some money there :D
Date Registered: 25 October 2014
Respect
Forum Rank
Fresh Corpse
Primary Group
More
HexxiumGamingYT's Contact & Social LinksHexxiumGamingYTandrew_gildner@HexxiumGamingHexxiumGamingHexxiumGamingYT
I'm in the same boat as you with the SSD issue and I think I just thought of a solution. Download a Symbolic Link creator (I've always used Link Shell Extension).

3) Go back to the original mods folder location in AppData and choose Drop As -> Symbolic Link.

That should make the game think the folder is there, even though its actually being redirected to your other drive by the filesystem.

Thank you so much for this :D <3  ;D
Date Registered: 29 December 2014
Last active: 7 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Fresh Corpse
Primary Group
Peeque's Groups
Peeque's Contact & Social Links
If you did want to change the AppData location go to the command prompt and type regedit. Then go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>Microsoft>Windows>CurrentVersion>Explorer>UserShellFolders

Right click LocalAppData and click modify. Assuming you want to change the location to another HDD make a folder on there called AppData and copy the location, i.e E:\AppData. In the Value data box change it to the new AppData folder location you just copied and press OK. Move the Activision folder from the old AppData folder on your C drive into the new one.

This is for Windows 7/Vista, I assume it would be the same for Windows 8 too. Let me know if it works, if it doesn't I can try to help.

- Peeque

Date Registered: 20 July 2015
Last active: 8 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
SC36DC's Groups
SC36DC's Contact & Social Links

Thank you so much for this, this really helped me out!
Date Registered: 16 December 2015
Last active: 8 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Fresh Corpse
Primary Group
Skyguard136's Groups
Skyguard136's Contact & Social Links

THANKS A LOT!!!
Date Registered: 9 October 2013
Last active: 3 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
elpapimejor's Groups
elpapimejor's Contact & Social Links
Add this to the shortcut +set fs_localAppData (MODSFOLDER)
[UGX] Documentation Writer & Programmer
Date Registered: 23 August 2013
Last active: 6 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
UGX Team Member
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
(ง º ω º )ง u wont sum m8y?
Signature
Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
DidUknowiPwn's Groups
UGX Team Member
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
Community Scripter Elite Has shown excellence and experience in the area of custom scripting in the UGX-Mods community.
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
This user has access to the Black Ops 3 Modtools Alpha
Add this to the shortcut +set fs_localAppData (MODSFOLDER)
fs_localAppData is write protected wouldn't change anything.

I lied.

Basically doing what he said also works but I'm not sure if it'll work in other scenarios. Someone should try?
Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 02:27:16 am by DidUknowiPwn
Date Registered: 14 November 2014
Last active: 6 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Fresh Corpse
Primary Group
poopmanspongebob's Contact & Social Links

There is a way. Right click your entire appdata folder and hit properties then you will see locationthen you can change it

Loading ...