More
My Contact & Social Links
More
Personal Quote
'Straya Mate
Signature
Please give me beta access, I would LOVE to test CO-OP
JiffyNoodles's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
Custom Map Reviewer Has permission to post map review topics in the Custom Map Reviews section of the forum.
Oil Rig Beta Access
Oil Rig Beta Access
Welcome to Edifice, a map that just so happened to rise and fall faster than the stock market in 2007. I was supposed to have completed and reviewed this map a long time ago, but, I just couldn’t do it… UNTIL NOW. This map was created by Canadian Mapper, Pashan, on October 23rd, 2015, as a Map to get the Halloween map season underway. Although the initial vibe from the community was strongly positive, it quickly died down as problems emerged. As of now, the map has had only one Patch, and has never been updated since. Anyway, without further ado, let’s get into the pros and cons for this map.

PROS

Halloween is on point: This map was going for the Halloween feel, and it drove the point home. It felt nice to boot this up and actually feel like a witch or a goblin was gonna show up and get me.

Easter Egg was simple, yet effective: Although the easter egg was simple, the little extra bits here and there does allow the gameplay to continue, as well as listening to the somewhat interesting dialogue from the trapped soul who is in the place of Samantha. I found myself thinking of where such little items could be lurking, as I had only completed half the easter egg with a mate previously (Andy, I’m looking at you fam), so these new steps were interesting, in my eyes anyway.

Pro Perks: The inclusion of Pro Perks was a neat Idea that Pashan had in mind for his map ages back (I know this because me and him were in talks at the time), and straight from the horse’s mouth, here are the listed Pro Abilities of all the perks available in the map:

Jugg 2.0 = Increased health regen + 20% of the original health
Quick Revive 2.0 = quicker recovery from zombie hits (as in you can have the ability to sprint after a zombie hits you faster + keep your perks if u go down in solo.... (but lose qr)
Double Tap 2.0 = Double ADS time (since the perk is a cowboy-inspired perk) but only if it isn't already double Damage DT, if it is, then this is DT 3.0
Speed Cola 2.0 = faster ready-up of weapons (both when buying and changing to the weapon)
Deadshot = Increased Headshot multiplier (extra headshot damage)
Stamin-up 2.0 = 1.5x the stamina for Sprint and even further increased movement
PHD 2.0 = Double Explosive Damage
Tombstone 2.0 = bleed-out time is extended for the user (since the perks about dying off)
Who's Who 2.0 = Spawn with Quick revive and an M14
Electric Cherry 2.0 = Melee deals electric damage (make it kind of like what thunder rum was, where it stopped the zombie attacking, but don't make them get knocked down)
Mule Kick 2.0 - 4 weapons

Well, no map is perfect, so let’s get into the Cons of this map:

CONS

Bugs still exist after patch: The bugs that still have all killed me at least once in this map. These include, but not limited to: weird clipping on the steps leading up to PHD, causing you to just stop dead in your tracks, Ice-rink on the PHD floor, when running in from previously mentioned stairs, broken Who’s Who Spawns and, the most infamous one of all, the 1-2 hit Jugg glitch, which, as the name states, ignores your precious 2500 lifesaver and you get smacked into Oblivion. One major Game-Breaking Bug that was patched in the only patch to date, was the random deaths occurring in the Stairwell leading to Electric Cherry, which, would’ve gotten it’s own spot on this list if it hadn’t been patched.

Spoiler: click to open...
Credit to Pashan for the above screenshot

The Custom PPSH feel wrong: Although I give props to Pashan for trying to change up the PPSH-41 for the sake of freshness, the way he has done it, it feels morally wrong to use it. The anims feel like crap, Aiming down sights reduces your vision worse than a flashbang at your feet, and it overall, feels like a violation of the PPSH’s rights.

No Perk Limit: Although I know the reason why it was removed in the 1st place, and, as I’ve said many a time, I like a perk limit. I like being able to earn more slots/get a free perk. What Pashan has done is removed the Perk limit, so people are able to get Pro perks, as for some reason, getting your four perks, then trying to get them pro, wouldn’t work, so, he had to remove the limit, for the sake of a gameplay mechanic  which is saddening to me, as I like a challenge.

Lack of use of the Custom Scoreboard: When you load this up in Solo, you are greeted with a Solo scoreboard, which looks to have been designed to hold 4 players in it. But, when you load up Co-op, it uses the stock W@W scoreboard, meaning that the custom scoreboard has gone to waste. A real shame, as the scoreboard looks better than the stock one in my
personal opinion.

My Favourite weapons are Broken: This, is what saddened me the most in this map, not the bugs, but the fact some of the weapons, including my Favourites, are broken and useless. For example, the Executioner, I love the gun dearly, both in BO2 Multiplayer and in the Zombies, as it’s a shotgun Pistol, and it just felt awesome to use, as well as it was a powerful weapon in the zombies mode. Same can be said for the Ray Gun Mark II, being an improvement on its ancestral Counterpart, it was a breath of fresh air for the gun.

Then, this map broke them both, like Bane against Batman. How were they broken, you ask? Well, the Executioner fires weak as piss pistol/slug rounds that don’t do anything, even pack-a-punched, it still is terrible &, the Ray Gun Mark II is actually worse than Ray Gun, because the Ray Gun Mark II in this map can’t penetrate multiple zombies, and because it was designed not to have splash damage, you can’t shoot at the ground for a multi-kill effect, unlike its Older Sibling.

Final Verdict

Level Detail: 8/10. It’s a Halloween Map, and it feels gritty, like it should be.

Custom Content: 8/10. Almost everything is Custom, and a no show for a custom Knife Model.

Fun Scale: 4/10. The map really stops being fun after you run into the glitches repeatedly.

Replayability: 3/10. This map really has no driving urge to bring me back to it. I only came back because I felt I had to uphold my end of the bargain.

Overall Score: 23/40

Download Link: https://ugx-mods.com/forum/index.php/topic,8905.msg97538.html#msg97538
Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 01:00:12 pm by JiffyNoodles
broken avatar :(
  • Exofile
  • Deleted Member
Exofile
This user is deleted :(
Great review as always Jiffy, really captured the essence of the map.

I only played this map 3 or so times, each time died by some ridicule fashion, so I can't begin to imagine how long you spent getting it done without dying! No offense meant in that.  8)
Date Registered: 17 January 2015
Last active: 4 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
My Contact & Social Links
More
Personal Quote
Professional Change Counter
Signature

zombie lover / beta tester in training / perfectly loved
Beautiful & fairly accurate review, Jiffy. Happy to see someone review a slightly older-ish map in depth :D

Loading ...